Acer Aspire Convincing Tricks

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by lace, Oct 30, 2008.

1. lace

lace

Hi there, Im new to the forum but not to all things techy. Errrmmm... well I wanna get a Acer Aspire One A150L-AB (the 512MB Model) and then upgrade its ram by adding 1GB of Ram to it.

My problem is, I need to convince my dad to buy the damn notebook for me. So can anyone gimmie some tips I cant use to overpower his choice? I really want the Acer Aspire One cause its soooo cute and looks really good. Also, because I spend most of my time on the internet doing stuff like browsing etc, It seems a waste to turn on my 800-Watt Core 2 Quad Desktop for such basic stuff because it wastes too much electricity.

So tell me what I can say to him.

regards
    lace

lace, Oct 30, 2008
  2. lace

nmesisca

i have to say that since i got my AAO, i havent turned on my desktop machine, except when I wanted to play a game.
    I used to turn it on when I was back from work and leave it on until time for bed, but now i can get pretty much everything done with the AAO, except playing that is.
    It does translate into quite the saving I have to say, and my desktop is 'only' sucking 250Watts.
    Depending on the size of your electricity bill, this could be a convincing argument.
    However, given credit crunch and everything else, if you dont NEED it, my guess is your dad is more far-sighted then you are..

nmesisca, Oct 30, 2008
  3. lace

N6546R

No need increase the RAM on the Linux models unless you just want to do it for fun. 512M is plenty. If you're a student, 'easier to do my homework' might be a good reason!

Perry
    www.kidpub.com

N6546R, Oct 30, 2008
  4. lace

judeh101

just say that aspire one is very portable, and uses very little power, and tell your dad, at the end of the month, you will find quite a bit of difference in your electric bill. Which will save quite a bit of cost.
    say you need it for school because this will help me a lot in my homework or something. I dunno, its really up to you.

judeh101, Oct 30, 2008
  5. lace

rjm

1. Don't upgrade the RAM. Waste of time and money, and a real risk of damage.

2. Various reasons for getting an Aspire One, but doesn't it depend on the reasons he's giving first for not buying you one?

- show some initiative: agree to put up some of the cash from your own allowance/savings.
    - find some more convincing reasons for why you need one than "it looks cute".

On the "its too much bother to power up the desktop" line of thought, I agree, but that in and of itself it's going to justify the purchase. Think about whether you can use it at school or something.

Your desktop doesn't use 800W, that's just the max rating of the power supply. A C2Q system including monitor will be about 150W+ I guess, depending a lot on what graphics card you are using.

rjm, Oct 30, 2008
  6. lace

judeh101

A C2Q and those settings he said will use approximately 500W but at peak load though, which means stress testing the cpu and gfx card, and much more.

judeh101, Oct 30, 2008
  7. lace

lace

errrm thanks to all who commented. my main desktop specs are:

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6700 Overclocked
    6GB Ram
    1 TB Hard Drive
    2x nVidia 8800 GTX in SLI
    the usual junk like blue ray burners, wifi cards, memory card readers etc....

so it does use a lot of power. if i may get one it would most likely be 2morrow.

hopefully i do!

regards
    lace

lace, Oct 30, 2008
  8. lace

billr

hi

Well, about the power usage - I am in the UK and electric bills have see some of the steepest rise in price.
    I guess everyone in the UK is aware of this. It means cutting back all round not leaving stuff switched on etc...

Well I bought my AA1 back in August about the time of my last electric nill which was £167
    I have almost totally stopped my use of my desk-top pc since then and am using the AA1 about the same hours
    Last week I had my elec bill for the OCT 3month qtr - £74.00.....................WOW!!! :D :D

I was very pleasantly shocked and delighted!

There is no doubt at all that the low-power AA1 saves you money - and it doesn't take a genius to work out
    that within 8-9months the AA1 will pay for itself!! after that it's all cost saving. Still, you've gotta buy it in the
    1st place..............so contibute some money towards it.

I had planned to put up these remarkable savigs in a new topic along the lines of
    'AA1 Saves You Money and Save the Planet too!!

I have to say again - The bill in Aug of £167 would be for the 3 months Jun/Jul/Aug these are the summer months! when your lighting is used less along with other things as we're out -doors more The bill in OCT of £64.00 is for Aug/Sept/Oct when usage of elect is going up, more lights, more stuff switched on tv etc etc -

The savings to me are really astonishing - but perhaps not all that suprising as alot of hitech companies have a remit and
    policy of making lower powered devices to cut co2 emissions by whatever percentage to comply with various govt
    legislation on CO2 reduction..gloval warming etc

So, The Aspire One saves the Planet too :D

Buy One now!! :lol:

billr, Oct 30, 2008
  9. lace

judeh101

ok your desktop with that spec should be roughly around 700W at peak it should go at least 750W
    anyways, with "one" of these units, you are guaranteed to make the world a better place, greener, and save big bucks!

judeh101, Oct 30, 2008
  10. lace

rjm

Except that doing the equivalent task on the A1 vs. the desktop, i.e. browsing the web, isn't going to draw anywhere near the peak power of the desktop system. The desktop idle (light use) power consumption - revising up for his two power hungry GPUs - could well be over 250W though.

Call the A1 consumption (light use) 15W. Each hour he uses the One and not the desktop saves 0.235 kWh. Utility rates are highly variable, but let's call it 25 cents per kWh. To make up the cost of buying the One ($350, say) he'd have to use the One instead of his desktop for a total of 6000h, or 4h a day, 7 days a week, for just under 4 years...

So much for the "it'll pay for itself" argument.

rjm, Oct 31, 2008
  11. lace

judeh101

I can agree with you on that, but still, buying the device is way greener for the environment, don't cha think?

judeh101, Oct 31, 2008
  12. lace

Janiz

Here is some tips for you

-Tell that its for your homeworks and school
    -Save your own money for it so your parents can see you really want it
    -If nothing helps then go crazy :lol:

Janiz, Oct 31, 2008
Ask a Question