acer aspire driving me mad !!

Discussion in 'Linux' started by ali45, Dec 26, 2008.

1. ali45

ali45

i cant connect to my bt home hub - i cant connect to Messenger - should I bin it ??????
    could i put windows xp on it ? is it easy to do ? would that help with connection probs - HELP ME PLEASE as my
    11 year old is really disappointed with her xmas pressie THANKS

ali45, Dec 26, 2008
  2. ali45

daldred

CAn you connect (wired or wireless) to the net at all? If so, run the live updates. There are upgrades in there for the sireless connectivity which may well sort out your problem with the BT router.

Messenger: Microsoft periodically change the way messenger works to try to force people to use their products. People who prefer other ways of connecting catch up with them pretty quickly. Again, running the updates will probably sort out your Messenger problems - but from time to time MS will lock you out again for a few days until everyone else works out what they've done this time.

daldred, Dec 26, 2008
  3. ali45

ali45

hi yes can connect to BT FON community - downloaded live updated but there was loads of stuff i didnt want but couldnt untick - still cant get into messenger - will keep trying ... thanks for reply

ali45, Dec 27, 2008
  4. ali45

daldred

For making updates selectable, see this: http://macles.blogspot.com/2008/09/optional-updates-on-acer-aspire-one.html.

I connected to MSN using the Acer messenger last night, so it should be working; if you can't get it sorted we can see if it's reporting any errors. Start a terminal and type
    Code:
    UIM
    which will start the messenger software; you'll get warnings and errors reported to the terminal. Even a working version throws some warnings, so don't be surprised to get a few lines about gtk color entries, locales and debug hooks!

If you post what comes up back into here, together with any specific messages you get in the graphical interface, we can see if there are any clues there.

daldred, Dec 27, 2008
  5. ali45

ali45

can you let me know how to start a terminal !!! as soon as we turn the machine on it goes to the home page - i am only used to windows and how to get into that system ! sorry to be such a pain but complete novice with this little machine - we still cant connect to messenger !

ali45, Dec 27, 2008
  6. ali45

daldred

Two options:

[*]read this post and enable the advanced desktop; then the terminal is available on the right-click menu. This is better for the future!
    [*]Start My Files, then on the File menu find 'terminal'. This is easier for a one-off but a pain to do every time.

daldred, Dec 28, 2008
  7. ali45

ali45

i opened the terminal like you said and typed in SELECT ALL UIM and it threw up a few lines of text - tried to log onto messenger and it keeps saying "Our protocol is not supported by the server" - any clues ??? - i am a tab away from putting it up on EBAY !!! then it says there is already a IM process already running !!!!!!!! it also says we are online when the messenger thing comes up butwont let us do anything- it wont show the list of contacts etc..... and when we press sign it then it says about the protocol notbeing supported by the server !!! also i contacted acer who said the problem was with the software and this wasnt covered under warranty and gave me a number to ring at 50p per minute - but can they help or would i be wasting my money ??????????

ali45, Jan 4, 2009
  8. ali45

daldred

The words 'SELECT ALL' are at the top of the little code box. If you click on 'SELECT ALL' you will select all the text in the code box. It's not part of the command for the terminal: just like 'Acer Aspire One User Forum' at the top of the page isn't.

The command you need to enter is 'UIM' To be absolutely clear, you open the terminal, and type in a capital U, followed by a capital I, followed by a capital M, then you press the ENTER key.

You have run the Live Updates by now, haven't you? If not, it won't work as Microsoft have changed the signon protocols since the Aspire One was released.

daldred, Jan 4, 2009
Ask a Question