ACER Aspire must Have a Virus...

Discussion in 'Windows' started by randybrower, Mar 4, 2010.

1. randybrower

randybrower

My Aspire is "frozen" in a Windows restart screen. I have 30 seconds to restart and when the Windows XP start-up screen is displayed, it goes back to the black screen. Can anyone save me a trip to the Repair Shop? What can I do?
    Randy

randybrower, Mar 4, 2010
  2. randybrower

RaphaRB

Try to boot from a pendrive and run CHKDSK. It seems like some Windows file is corrupted or mising.

If you see a fast blue screen just before it flicks and reboot, I'm sure the problem is it.

RaphaRB, Mar 25, 2010
  3. randybrower

randybrower

Thank you. I'll try that after I acquire a pendrive. Do I just plug it in and restart? Where might I find chkdsc?

randybrower, Mar 26, 2010
  4. randybrower

cheater99

If you google "Portable XP USB" (can't link to it here) and put that on your USB stick, you will boot into a minimal win32 environment. From there, you can open command prompt and run
    Code:
    chkdsk VOLUME:/f

where you replace VOLUME with the letter of your drive (Most likely C). Leave that running for a while until it completes and then restart and see if boots.

cheater99, Mar 28, 2010
Ask a Question