Acer aspire One AOD260 Bios restore

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by Hawko, Apr 26, 2013.

1. Hawko

Hawko

I'm trying to restore the BIOS on an AOD260. It's suffering from a black screen at start up, fan spins for a couple of seconds then stops.

I've downloaded the latest bios and renamed the file NEW70x64.fd as suggested in the service manual. When I try the restore the memory stick is accessed and the HDD light flashes occasionally but the restore process never completes. I left it all night and next morning the fan is still running and USB light still flashing. I'm thinking maybe it's the wrong file or name or I'm missing something else. Although I've tried leaving the file name as is and one or two other names.

Tried using an external monitor to make sure nothing else is diaplayed, but that's dead too

Any ideas please?

Thanks

Hawko, Apr 26, 2013
  2. Hawko

Nestone50

I have successfully re flashed an AOA 150. As I recall, there were 2 files that had to be downloaded to the USB flash drive and one or both had to be renamed. I'm guessing the same would be the case for your model. Also, I've read certain USB flash drives don't work with the restore process. In addition, the flash drive must be formatted to FAT, not FAT 32, before the bios file(s) are loaded on the flash drive. That is done by connecting the USB flash drive into a computer that is working. Go to "My Computer" find the flash drive and right click on it. Choose format. When the format screen opens, use the pull down menu and choose FAT.
    I suggest to carefully review the instructions again and follow them to the letter. This is a very common problem with Acer netbooks. If the instructions you have aren't very clear, Google AOD260 BIOS restore and you will get many hits that also include You Tube demos that can be very helpful. Here is a site with written and video instructions: http://newpcuser.com/?p=2554
    Good luck!

Last edited: Apr 26, 2013
    Nestone50, Apr 26, 2013
Ask a Question