Acer Aspire One Desktop Screen

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by radacheck, Sep 26, 2013.

1. radacheck

radacheck

My Desktop screen does not fill up all the
    space available on the sides. There is about a small margin on the left and right side. The display resolution is correctly set at 1024 by 600 . Any ideas?
    Thanks by ,
    radacheck

radacheck, Sep 26, 2013
  2. radacheck

Nestone50

You say desktop screen. Are you speaking of an external monitor or are you talking about the netbook LED screen?

Nestone50, Sep 30, 2013
  3. radacheck

radacheck

Netbook screen

radacheck, Oct 1, 2013
  4. radacheck

Nestone50

Do you have an external monitor that you can connect to your netbook? If so, do it. Are the same lines showing to the right & left of the screen? If not, you can rule out problems with the video card, drivers, etc. Assuming this is the case, your problem most likely rests with the ribbon cable from the motherboard to the LED screen. This cable is delicate. Google your model of netbook + disassemble instructions. The ribbon cable connection sometime works itself loose from numerous opening & closing of the lid. Also, the cable is sometimes kinked during the manufacturing process. A couple years ago my touch pad stopped working. It has the same type ribbon cable from the motherboard. I found the cable was kinked at the touch pad end and simply reseated it and the touch pad has worked flawlessly ever since. I'm assuming your LED screen is not otherwise cracked or damaged.

Nestone50, Oct 1, 2013
  5. radacheck

radacheck

Thank you for your response I think you are correct. The problem seems to be dependent on how far I open the lid before powering up, which points to a mechanical problem. I am going to the Radio Shack and get the electronic repair kit, small screwdrivers etc. and have a go at it. I have watched repair videos on YouTube and it seems easy.

radacheck, Oct 1, 2013
  6. radacheck

Nestone50

That is a very clear indication that the cable between the video card on the motherboard and the LED screen is either damaged or dislodged. It is easier disassembling the LED screen so I'd check that end first. IF it turns out the ribbon cable is damaged, you can find them from time to time on eBay.

Nestone50, Oct 2, 2013
Ask a Question