Acer Aspire One Execute Programs

Discussion in 'Linux' started by fmfigueroa, Jan 28, 2009.

1. fmfigueroa

fmfigueroa

Hi, I got an Acer Aspire One and am not too familiar with the Linux program. What would I need to do different in order to execute the programs I download? ? When I select 'execute' from the file manager it doesn't do anything. I have followed some of the instructions posted, but are too complicated for me to follow. Is there an easier way to do this. thanks.

fmfigueroa, Jan 28, 2009
  2. fmfigueroa

daldred

What are you downloading?

It's unusual to download programs in Linux (unless you're compiling them from source, and if the instructions for installing software are too difficult I really don't think you should be starting on that); Linux works in a far more sophisticated way than Windows, so you don't have to go looking for downloads yourself. Linux is also more secure; if you download something it is automatically not executable until you make it executable.

Using the add/remove software function is far safer; generally software added this way will set itself up fully and add itself to the right-click menu. And what's complicated about using add/remove software? It's point and click!

What is more complicated, because Acer made it so, is to add anything to the simplified menu. As long as you've enabled right-click, though, you're unlikely to have much trouble installing and running software.

daldred, Jan 28, 2009
  3. fmfigueroa

fmfigueroa

thanks David, I will try that. I was downloading a driver to use with my bluetooth and also Webfetti to use with myspace.com. ;)

fmfigueroa, Jan 28, 2009
  4. fmfigueroa

syhowes

Hi there

I'm also having a lot of trouble trying to install any files
    on my acer aspire one. Can't seem to execute anything.
    There are lots of executable files showing for the software,
    but there's no installation process... nothing happens.

Just bought an external USB CD ROM to install
    things like Photoshop & Nero express on my Aspire
    One. The machine recognises the Cd ROm - I click
    on Photoshop Elements for e.g. and it simply opens a
    window with a range of available executable files.
    How do I install my software??? It's driving me crazy!!!

I even have got myself into the 'advanced menu' and
    done the right-click 'add/remove software' option under
    'system'. I input the correct password & all seems
    to be well - the acer retrieves software info & then
    opens up a box with 3 columns 'browse', 'list', etc.
    Don't recognise any of the files it lists in these areas.

Can you please help me?

Simon - a man missing Windows XP!

syhowes, Jan 31, 2009
  5. fmfigueroa

daldred

You are going to have serious trouble installing Photoshop Elements on Linux by this means, for the simple reasons that it is a Windows programs. Linux is not Windows, and Windows-only programs will not run under Linux. It's like trying to get a two-stroke engine to run on aviation fuel: it won't work.

There is a program called Wine which you can install in Linus which will enable you to run many Windows programs. Information on Wine is at http://www.winehq.org. You can install Wine using the add/remove programs system.

Alternatively, use the Linux options: Gimp (perhaps with the Gimpshop add-on to help you migrate from Photoshop) for image editing. Nero does appear to provide a version for Linux; I'm not sure what you're planning to do with it on a device without a burner, but there is Linux software to do all Nero Express seems to do. I assume the version on your CD is a Windows one, though.

There are brief descriptions of what each program does within the add/remove software system. For example, in the Browse screen, click on Applications, then (after a pause for it to list the options), click on 'Games and Entertainment' in the right hand pane (again a pause as it reads the 236 available games packages). Now click 'Optional Packages, wait for the list to popiulate (this system is about the slowest Linux package manager I've ever seen!), and you will get a list of package names followed in each case by a brief description.

If yoiu ned more information, generally google will help you out - for example, to take one of the packages in that list we just got, put 'alex4' into Google and it will tell you more about the game.

daldred, Jan 31, 2009
Ask a Question