Acer Aspire one SSD converted to NTFS

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by Renault5GTT, Feb 20, 2010.

1. Renault5GTT

Renault5GTT

Hi guys, firstly like to say hello.

OK where do I begin?....I bought an Aspire one with the 8GB SATA drive running XP which was running slow so I decided to convert the FAT 32 filing system to NTFS as I thought it would be faster!! BUT.....its slowed my netbook down so much it is now unuseable!! So my question is...How do I fix it?

Ive looked through the search buttons, tried google etc but cant seem to find a solution.

As you are aware they do not come with a cd drive and no copy of windows so what can I do? I know that I can download a 3rd party software (partition magic etc) but I want to completely format my hard drive and install windows XP again.

My laptop came pre loaded with windows XP and I have the product key etc...So If I can get a copy of windows can I just use my existing product key? Ill create a bootable USB stick and do it that way if I can....

If there is an easier fix though Id be greatful if you could enlighten me.

Also how do this netbooks run Vista or 7? are they useable?

Regards

Mark

Renault5GTT, Feb 20, 2010
  2. Renault5GTT

RockDoctor

Obviously, you should have begun by backing up your existing XP installation, but live and learn (or not, I've made that type of mistake more than once). You should be able to use your product key with another copy of XP.

RockDoctor, Feb 21, 2010
  3. Renault5GTT

TantalusFld

Mark,

Most SSD's run on fat 32. NTFS messes their head up. If you can borrow a usb CD drive and a copy of win xp home your AAO keys will work. Or copy to a bootable usb if you can figure that out. Use a third party utility to re-format your SSD to fat 32 before running the xp install, otherwise you will not see the fat/NTFS install option, just NTFS. Now if you manage to get back to a working win xp, consider installing a small program called Firefox. This program will do an amazing speedup of fat on a SSD and you will like your Acer.
    I've read elsewhere that vista doesn't run well, but the guys are happy with win 7, and drivers are available for the AAO.

http://flashfire.org/

also check out this thread on "slipstreamed XP"
    viewtopic.php?f=6&t=8882&p=57308&hilit=xp+slipstreamed#p57308

Jim

TantalusFld, Feb 21, 2010
  4. Renault5GTT

Renault5GTT

Thanks guys,

Jim - which one do you mean? Firefox is for the internet isnt it? and Flashfire is for SSD's? or shall I get them both to speed up my netbook?

Regards

Renault5GTT, Feb 28, 2010
  5. Renault5GTT

TantalusFld

My mistake, :oops: , you want flashfire.

TantalusFld, Feb 28, 2010
  6. Renault5GTT

Renault5GTT

Thanks for the info!

When I intall windows again how big should I partition my SSD HD?

also Ive install flashfire but how do I know it working?

cheers :)

Renault5GTT, Mar 3, 2010
  7. Renault5GTT

TantalusFld

I would think you would want to use the full 8gb of the drive for 1 partition if you are re-installing from a win XP disc. I doubt that the Acer rescue partition would work at this point anyhow.

You will know right away if flashfire is working. Your computer is now usable, and at reasonable good speed.

TantalusFld, Mar 4, 2010
  8. Renault5GTT

Renault5GTT

Ive used a 4gb partition for XP and that leaves me with 4gb of free space......If I partitioned at 8gb I wouldnt have any HD space left would I?

regards

Renault5GTT, Mar 6, 2010
  9. Renault5GTT

TantalusFld

XP would only use 1gb or so, you would still almost 7 gb free in the partition which would be reported as C: drive available for programs, storage, anything. The best way to go.

TantalusFld, Mar 11, 2010
Ask a Question