Acer D250. Mini PCIe slot enabled ¿??

Discussion in 'Modding and Customization' started by micro, Jan 14, 2010.

1. micro

micro

Hi alls!
    This is my first question in this forum about Acer AAO D250.
    I was trying to put a dongle Bluetooth in the Mini PCIe slot that is occupied by 3G Card when is available. Not in my netbook.
    I’m using Windows 7 Home Premium.
    So far, so good; I bought a mini card from eBay (3 Euros), that is an adapter from Mini PCIe to SATA (Not used by me) and USB, that I want to use to communicate internally with the dongle USB Bluetooth and leave free the 3 external USB ports on the computer.

These were my first test:

1) I use the signals cables DATA + and DATA - from the Mini PCIe Card and power the USB Dongle BT with 5V from an external USB port.
    The results were that the BT wasn’t recognized by the Windows 7.

2) I tried to power the Dongle BT with 3,3v from the Mini PCIe card and wire the Signals DATA+ and DATA – to one USB external port. The BT was present on Windows 7, but only few seconds. Then disappear.

So, my question is; is necessary to enable the 3G Mini PCIe slot?????. Thanks in advance by your cooperation and excuse me if my English is not good. Regards!

PD: I leave some pictures with the components.

The adapter card:

[​IMG]

Cutting the adapter card to fit in the slot:

[​IMG]

Fitting the card on the netbook:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

micro, Jan 14, 2010
  2. micro

ashram

1st question is, what bios are you running? i just added a bcm70012 to my wife's d250 and for sure the 1.07 bios is the one that 1st enabled the mini pci-e for general use. also, i don't see a usb chip on that card, so you may have to tape up, cut, prevent pin 20 from making contact (if i remember correctly)...

ashram, Jan 14, 2010
  3. micro

micro

Ashram; thanks by your response.
    I have running the last BIOS V1,25 downloaded from Acer webpage.
    According to the Mini PCI-e pinouts, the PINS for USB function are 36 (DATA-) and 38 (DATA +).
    The adapter card is only for connections between the Mini PCIe socket and the cables.
    I don’t understand what you say about PIN 20 (D8) (Insulated?)
    Thanks a lot by your cooperation. Regards.

micro, Jan 14, 2010
  4. micro

ashram

on my d250, i was able to use usb based mini pci-e cards by modding the wifi switch until bios 1.07, after that, for usb basded cards to work (and i'd assume usb passthrough like your card) pin 20 on the card would have to be tapped or covered. if pin 20 on the card is not covered, then it's in the off position. if pin 20 does not connect to the system, it's in the on position...

searching the boards here, somewhere there was a pic and everything....

ashram, Jan 14, 2010
  5. micro

micro

Ashram; thanks again by your response!.
    I was reading the theards about it and I can't belive that :D :D , I'm using the V1,25 BIOS, W7 Home Premium and I'm happy with the PC. I don't like to "retrofit" the BIOS to an older version.
    I was doing a lots of connection with the PCI-e, but don't work the DATA + / DATA - USB signals.
    Now I'm searching for a Bluetooth module that fit in the original connector on the motherboard. Still inform to alls. Thanks again.

micro, Jan 14, 2010
  6. micro

ashram

that's what i did, i bought a d250 with bluetooth for my wife.... then took her bluetooth module since she would never use it! took here 6-cell battery too!

ashram, Jan 14, 2010
  7. micro

micro

ashram; I bought a 2.1 + EDR Module (BCM92046). I'll wait that arrive from Hong Kong apro. 15 days.
    My question is: had your netbook pre-installed the BT Switch and the BT LED on the main board ???. I saw that my PC have the BT connector ready. Thanks in advance again by your cooperation.

[​IMG]

micro, Jan 18, 2010
  8. micro

ashram

yes, the switch was there already, just the button on the casing wasn't.... there was mention before of a software solution, but i do not remember what it was.

ashram, Jan 18, 2010
  9. micro

zerocool00

Hi gents...Just wanted to post so that I could join in and track this post. I just acquired a D250 for $50 from a customer and can't wait to modifiy it. BT is hi on the list as I want to be able to connect to my cell and tether wireless as well as transfer files. The D250 I have appears to be a basic model with XP home and 3 cell, so I'll need to add BT, upgraded wifi (with draftN), crystal HD (hope the bcm00715 is out soon), and maybe a 6-cell battery.

micro,
    I will follow your lead if the BT module install goes as planned.

zerocool00, Jan 20, 2010
  10. micro

micro

Ok zerocoll. I'm waiting for the BT module. I hope that arrive ASAP and of course a photos of installation w'll be posted.
    Also say that I have buyed and working a 9 cell battery (Ebay 27 Euro) and very happy with the same: 9:30 hs working !!!
    Other complement: a bluetooth mouse (Ebay 6 Euro) linked now with a USB dongle BT. Regards.

micro, Jan 21, 2010
  11. micro

zerocool00

Very Good! I must ask, how far does the 9 cell protrude out from the Netbook bottom? I do like the fact that the 3 cell is tucked away nice and neat, but the ~2hours of battery life is not enough. Also, I imagine it adds about 1kg to the weight?

zerocool00, Jan 21, 2010
  12. micro

micro

OK, here there are some pictures with the original 3 cell battery and the new one 9 cell bat. I must to say that the results is good, because allow to the netbook have more cooling due to the space between the PC and the base.

Data:

Original 3 cell bat: 10,8v 2200mAH weight: 129 gr (I have other D250 that come with a 3 cell battery but 11.1v 2200mAH)

New one 9 cell bat: 11,1v 7800mAH Weight: 358gr

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here the 2 batteries (Compared wiht a PEN Drive USB)

[​IMG]

And here the Bluetooth mouse. Very usefull !!!

[​IMG]

micro, Jan 21, 2010
  13. micro

zerocool00

Micro: Looks great...Thanks for the pictures.

So in reality....only an additional .5lb in weight. I think I could overlook that for the additional 7+ hours of life.

Thanks again!

zerocool00, Jan 22, 2010
  14. micro

micro

micro, Jan 29, 2010
  15. micro

ashram

remember.... you need to also aquire the bluetooth button OR the software that can turn it on since it's off by default on startup.

the software is mentioned somewhere on this board, but i forghet the name. it is from acer though.

ashram, Jan 29, 2010
  16. micro

micro

Thanks ashram!. I downloaded the Acer Empowering management to do that, the problem is that every time that I turn OFF the PC and turn ON again, is necesary to activate the bluetooth mode....
    Regarding the push button, I was trying put an external push button, but the upper cover blocked the same..grrrrrr....
    Do you know if is possible some configuration to turn ON the BT alwasys that run the PC ?? with the Bluetooth Soleil may be..??? regards.

Here is the push button that I was trying to put on the mother board.

[​IMG]

micro, Jan 29, 2010
Ask a Question