Acer D250 reboots after using for some time

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by ahbeng, Aug 5, 2009.

1. ahbeng

ahbeng

Anyone facing the same issue as me that the Acer D250 netbook will reboot on its own after using for some time? I've been searching around the forum, and the symptom doesn't behave like the fan issue whereby the netbook was unable to boot up at all. What I am facing is... after using the netbook for some time, for yet-to-be-known reason it will reboot.

I reformatted the netbook thinking that it could be an OS issue, and installed XP Pro edition on it. After using it fine for like 2 days, the problem came back again when I was transferring a large number of files (in GBs) over the wired network. So maybe it was the NIC problem, i thought, so I tried transferring the files over using wireless, and the same problem happened. It seems like any transfer of large number of files over wired or wireless will trigger this problem.

Anyone facing this other than me??

ahbeng, Aug 5, 2009
  2. ahbeng

Queen6

Yes, my D250 does this, and I re-installed the OS, several times and still had the same issue. I have just gone back to the original 1GB memory and so far it has not sporadically rebooted. I have upgraded to BIOS 1.07 and will be trying earlier versions with the 2Gb Crucial Ram installed.

I watched the Netbook carefully and it would reboot super fast, no shut down sequence, just recycle directly into the start up sequence, nor could I find anything in XP`loggs, which was no surprise given the speed of shutdown. I also monitored the CPU temp with CoreTemp and didn't observe anything unusual, the reboots do not appear to be linked to CPU load/temp, in my case it looks to have been the additional RAM so far. will have more time over the weekend to run the D250 and see how it behaves. Previously the reboots were very random, with the machine generally idling, I never had it reboot when actual using the Netbook or when the CPU was loaded.

What version of BIOS is your D250 on?

Queen6, Aug 6, 2009
  3. ahbeng

ahbeng

My D250's BIOS is running ver 1.07 too, and it came with 2GB RAM. I got my set exchanged for a new replacement set today as it was less than 7 days old, and still eligible for a one-to-one exchange. Brought the replacement set home and did the re-installation of programs, half way through, it rebooted by itself again. :evil:

Looks like i have to get this replacement set replaced too. :|

ahbeng, Aug 6, 2009
  4. ahbeng

Queen6

I plan to run mine for best part of the weekend and see what it does, so far I dont recollect the Netbook rebooting since I swapped out the RAM, anyway we will see what happens.

For me replacement is not so easy and will involve a lot of headache, and most probably only end up in a repair or refurbished unit, which I dont want. So I will try and work with it and try to figure out the root cause, RAM & BIOS version ore favorites at present.

Queen6, Aug 6, 2009
  5. ahbeng

Queen6

With stock configuration & BIOS 1.07 the D250 still randomly reboots, the machine appears to be fine & stable from startup until you touch the keyboard/trackpad when the screen saver is running, then the D250 will reboot within a few minutes, this may equally be coincidental, with no log or indicators it`s tricky to track down the root cause, hopefully software.

All the same I am going back to BIOS 1.06 to see how that works out, and just maybe will change the Acer screen saver first.

Just a note; mine has never rebooted during use, only when idle, and I have reinstalled the OS from the recovery partition several times without issue.

Queen6, Aug 7, 2009
  6. ahbeng

Queen6

Since I flashed back to 1.06 I have not seen any spontaneous reboots, over the last 36 hours. I have been using the D250, and deliberately leaving the Netbook to idle, until power management kicks in and the system goes into standby. Previously if I did this on 1.07 the computer would reboot sporadically.

Next step will be to reinstall the 2Gb ram module and check the stability. Early days, however hopefully the end of it...

Q-6

Queen6, Aug 9, 2009
  7. ahbeng

Mavke

When I installed 1.07 BIOS I experienced the same, so I also switched back to 1.06. From what I can see it is an issue with the BIOS really.

Mavke, Aug 11, 2009
  8. ahbeng

bremby

Hi,

someone can link me to find bios 1.06?
    also my D250 randomly reboots

it's a nightmare

Regards

Bremby

bremby, Aug 25, 2009
  9. ahbeng

Queen6

Just search for Acer, choose your geographic region and look for the support links, driver download etc.

Since swapping back to 1.06 I have not experienced a single random reboot, so I am surmising that 1.07 is for a slightly different hardware configuration. Acer does stipulate on the support site that you should only upgrade the BIOS on their recommendation.

Q-6

Queen6, Aug 25, 2009
Ask a Question