Acer One Mail Notification Problem

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Noodle1975, Jan 12, 2009.

1. Noodle1975

Noodle1975

Hello,

since I installed the advanced right-click menu and various updates, like firefox 3, I noticed that the onemail email notification in the tray area isn't working (i,e, should be a sound and white envolope appear in tray area when new mail is received even when the onemail prog is not open). I have to open the onemail app and send/receive manually each time, despite having the app set to check for new mail every few minutes. I cannot see any other notification settings to change.

1. I cannot find acer's email notify prog to uninstall / reinstall it or another (but i thought it could be notification-daemon-xfce?)
    2. I have tried to install other mail notification apps but they all report an error during installation (appears to be conflicting with the acer notify prog that is supposedly running) - e.g. tried yum install mail-notification in root etc with no joy.

I don't really want to install thunderbird and remove acer onemail, then install a new mail notify app in case the conflict still happens in the new notify app installation.

Does anyone have any ideas how I could get the existing tray mail notification working again? Could there be a setting or config file somewhere I am missing? It's not a big problem, just annoying this linux newbie brain :-o

Noodle1975, Jan 12, 2009
  2. Noodle1975

mattytee

Yes, firefox 3 -- even the one provided by Acer -- blows out some libraries you need for Acer's mail app. This is one of the reasons people complain about the kludgy Linpus install. It would have been easy for them to just do things right in the first place.

There is a simple script you can use to fix those libraries, linked below. Good luck!

http://jorge.ulver.no/2008/08/06/acer-aspire-one-tips-and-tricks/#InstallingFirefox3

mattytee, Jan 13, 2009
  3. Noodle1975

Noodle1975

Cheers, tried to sort these libraries out with this script but it failed miserably, and acer one mail just stopped working altogether.

So I bit the bullet and installed thunderbird with a mail notify extension which works a treat.

Long way round but hey ho...

RSS reader still not working though as per other people after firefox 3 install via the official acer patch!

Noodle1975, Jan 13, 2009
  4. Noodle1975

mattytee

Sorry it didn't help, glad you found an alternate solution. I actually dropped back to FF2 until they get the sqlite bugs out of the system.

mattytee, Jan 14, 2009
  5. Noodle1975

ladegreb

Noodle1975, can I ask you which extension you installed? I struggle with the same problem.

Thanks in advance.
    /Andreas

ladegreb, Feb 7, 2009
  6. Noodle1975

Noodle1975

The mail notification is built-in to thunderbird, i.e. if you click the thunderbird tray icon it will minimalize thunderbird to the tray icon only (you won't see the prog in the taskbar which is cool) and it will scan for e-mail at whatever period you set it to in your mail account settings.

n.b. only clicking the tray icon will minimalize thunderbird in this way.

Click on the tray icon again and it will re-open thunderbird.

I find this cool for me...not exactly what I wanted originally but I'm happy.

Noodle1975, Feb 8, 2009
Ask a Question