Acer One Messenger Wont Load

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by Darkchef, Oct 13, 2008.

1. Darkchef

Darkchef

Hi,

I've just bought an acer aspire yesturday and ive been customising stuff up and this morning the acer one messenger has been refusing to load, the hard drive light doesnt even flash which makes me wonder if its uninstalled somehow.

Anyone know of an easy fix to get it working. If this helps ive installed skype, GIMP and Pidgin on here since buying it. I have a feeling when installing pidgin some libs may have been changed.

I Would restore the system with the recovery dvd via usb but ive been reading a lot of problems regarding that, has this actually worked for anyone?

Also if i install xp on here, will i be able to restore linpus back on here at a later date if i wanted?

Thanks

Darkchef, Oct 13, 2008
  2. Darkchef

Grim Squeaker

Acer One messenger is a customised version of pidgin (something Acer forgot to mention in the credits...) - installing the normal version of pidgin indeed broke it.

System restore works fine IF you manage to make a recovery usb stick. Note that you need a 2 GB one. It will also allow you to reinstall linpus if you try windows in between.
    But the actual making of a recovery stick is where the trouble arises for most..

Grim Squeaker, Oct 13, 2008
  3. Darkchef

Darkchef

Thanks for the reply, i think im going to install xp due to some programs i use for university that are needed and i cant really be bothered tweaking with WINE just now. :lol:

All this usb recovery stuff seems a bit long winded, if i buy an external drive this will make it far more easier right?

Yeah i was worried that if i installed xp then some hidden partition would get deleted and then i wouldnt be able to recover linpus when i wanted to. This wont happen right?

Darkchef, Oct 14, 2008
  4. Darkchef

Darkchef

Does anyone know a way to restore acer one instant messenger without doing a full restore off the dvd ???

Any help would be nice, cheers.

Darkchef, Oct 14, 2008
Ask a Question