Acer One won't boot from internal SSD - Help!!

Discussion in 'Linux' started by tomrowley20287, Dec 2, 2008.

1. tomrowley20287

tomrowley20287

My one won't boot from gthe internal SSD,, but I have installed Linpus on usb IDE Hdd using the recovery cd provided with the one and it boots up with that connected and then runs as if there was no problem.

Could somebody please help me? As soon as my One boots from the external HDD it runs just fine including the SDD. All my files are still present along with my settings and mods, it's just the boot that is broken.

Can you help?

tomrowley20287, Dec 2, 2008
  2. tomrowley20287

rbil

A little more info required. After placing Linpus on your ext. hdd, were you able to boot without the external drive attached, but later, this problem developed?

When you boot with the ext hdd attached, is your system running from the SSD or the ext hdd?

Cheers.

rbil, Dec 3, 2008
  3. tomrowley20287

tomrowley20287

Tahnks for your reply.

In the end I had to do a system restore using the rubbish CD that came with the Acer. Took me about 20 attempts just to get it to work without getting an error 39 message. Fucking stupid to release software that is broken by default.

In regards to the SSD problem the problem developed over time. I was downloading quite a few new apps trying to make an Ubuntu liveUSB and the problem developed over time. Eventually it just stopped booting all together with or without the external HDD. I found it quite strange that when pressing F12 on boot and choosing to boot from a USB HDD linpus still reads the SSD and take settings from there.

I installed the Linpus system on the external HDD from another computer and for a while it booted fine from that location but would boot my SSD system's settings; i.e. standard XFCE desktop rather than the standard desktop along with all programs and images etc.

When the system failed to boot all together I stripped the One down and removed the SSD thinking that I could just boot from the USB HDD and it would boot as the standard system like a fresh install but no such luck. The system wouldn't boot and the Caps Lock light flashed on and off.

All is well now though.

tomrowley20287, Dec 3, 2008
  4. tomrowley20287

xhawk101

I have had same error 39 when trying to create an USB bootable drive. so later i tried to create one from another post's site ( http://dailycupoftech.com/2008/09/02/di ... sb-device/

this ended because i seem to have problem getting to the "root" and not a "partition" of the usb. this is quite frustrating!

so, i meanwhile ordered a stupid external CD for 18 bucks from amazon. Meanwhile, any suggestions??

(not fond of trying the acer cd again because twice i had to repair my Vista master boot record with windows install disk because that disk seemed to screw it up.!!)

(ps reason i need to restore linpus is after same update as others have recently it says"failed to initialize HAL!" and is stuck with no wireless etc.) perhaps this is HAl from 2001??? :evil:

xhawk101, Dec 11, 2008
Ask a Question