Acer release firefox 3 patch

Discussion in 'Linux' started by LittleBigPhil, Dec 25, 2008.

1. LittleBigPhil

LittleBigPhil

If u go to system settings then help, then go onto the acer support site and find on the site drivers and support. If u then click connect u can download many things to do with the connect section including firefox 3! There are also games in the fun etc.

LittleBigPhil, Dec 25, 2008
  2. LittleBigPhil

steven.chien

Yes! I have just saw it yesterday, and want to post it here, it's great that you have already do so, later on, users will no longer have any trouble on installing firefox 3!

steven.chien, Dec 26, 2008
  3. LittleBigPhil

steven.chien

NEWS!

the file of Firefox 3 seems to be removed from the server!

steven.chien, Dec 26, 2008
  4. LittleBigPhil

grwkak

grwkak, Dec 26, 2008
  5. LittleBigPhil

chatty

Yes I have. Do NOT install this. Read my thread above this to see what Im talking about

chatty, Dec 26, 2008
  6. LittleBigPhil

steven.chien

Download seems to be OK again,

steven.chien, Dec 27, 2008
  7. LittleBigPhil

steven.chien

Where is it?

steven.chien, Dec 27, 2008
  8. LittleBigPhil

chatty

sorry here it is http://www.aspireoneuser.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=8630
    If you install it from the acer website it will just install over ff2 delete important files which the rss hub, email, contacts and others use. If you google there is a way to do it without delelting the important files but its a method I tried which didnt work. I wouldn't risk upgrading to ff3 at all

chatty, Dec 27, 2008
  9. LittleBigPhil

jamesliz

Contrary to what is being posted here, FireFox 3.0.3 from the Acer international download site installs perfectly and DOES NOT miss up any other factory installed programs including Email, Contacts, Calendar and RSS Reader. I have the Linux 8gig model and didn't do any alterations to it. I also downloaded the DVD burning software from that site and it also installed flawlessly including adding an icon to the Acer start page. I am glad I waited for the Acer version of FireFox 3.0.3, although it does install a whole bunch of language packs which you can't prevent from installing and have to disable in FireFox and adds the Google task bar which I didn't want and also adds to the size of the installed program. Let me repeat again, others having programs blow out after installing the Acer FireFox patch have made other modifications to their Aspire before installing the download.

jamesliz, Dec 28, 2008
  10. LittleBigPhil

chatty

I have not made any other modifications to my laptop. These programs have only stopped working after I installed firefox 3 from the acer site. If you google and look in my thread you will see that the programs that stopped working for me had dependencies in firefox 2. Do you not think it is a bit funny after installing firefox 3 these programs stopped working?

chatty, Dec 28, 2008
  11. LittleBigPhil

Hampstead

I'm a real novice with Linux.

I have downloaded from the Acer ftp site and it opens in xarchiver, but what do I do from there to install it?

It doesn't seem intuitive straight away.

Hampstead, Dec 28, 2008
  12. LittleBigPhil

markh

I haven't used that one, but the other acer downloads I've used only have a single file plus a read-me. If that is so, then extract it to somewhere, then click on the file.

markh, Dec 28, 2008
  13. LittleBigPhil

jamesliz

Chatty, Did you install any upgrades, bios or other? I believe you stated you upgraded Open Office. I can assure you I've tested every Acer installed program and they ALL work. I have the 3114 bios. I am not Linux savy so I was surprised that the program installed just like a windows program. Just unzipped it and clicked on .sh program and it installed perfectly. Remember, I didn't change any thing or add any programs to the Aspire before this FireFox patch.

jamesliz, Dec 28, 2008
  14. LittleBigPhil

jamesliz

Hampstead, just click on down loaded zipfile and hit extract tab at top of menu, then choose My Downloads folder to put extraction in. Close the unzip program and go to your desktop and choose Files, My Downloads and click on FireFox.sh file and presto it will install.

jamesliz, Dec 28, 2008
  15. LittleBigPhil

Hampstead

Excellent - all works fine.

Sort of - I was hoping I would be able to select UK set up so that the search engines are pertinent to UK.

Hampstead, Dec 28, 2008
  16. LittleBigPhil

jamesliz

Hampstead, don't forget to open FireFox click on Tools tab at top choose Add-0ns, Languages and disable all languages except English-UK. Maybe that will fix search relevances, but I doubt it.

jamesliz, Dec 29, 2008
  17. LittleBigPhil

steven.chien

I agree, that's why I haven't made any modification to the system besides enabling the right click menu. I am sure that Acer will release these software some days, that's why I have never rush to do any modification on the system, as many of you know, the system of AA1 is a very close system, and Acer don't expect you to have any mod. if you do so, you may break the system and you may not be able to install updates of patches provided by Acer in the future. I think those who can not install the update have done mod. on their machine. My advice is that make a backup before you do any system changes on the machine, including mod. and also installing Acer's update!, there is a guide on installing and using a software called fwbackup in the "How to guide" section!

http://www.aspireoneuser.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=3182

steven.chien, Dec 29, 2008
  18. LittleBigPhil

grwkak

I tried the patch at:

http://www.acer.com/aspireone/support/f ... nnect.html

It worked and did not hose the Acer email. I have tweaked my system - Bios 3309, installed Opera, Filezilla, pyNeighborhood, Skype and VNC. Once installed Firefox you can't remove it (no option in live updates).

Is it just me, but is the Acer website confusing when finding support and drivers?

grwkak, Jan 1, 2009
  19. LittleBigPhil

Foxy_Scott

I've succesfully installeed Firefox 3 but if I try to send someone an email link to a page it won't open up Aspire One Mail. I've checked in the preferences of Firefox and 'use Onemail (default)' is selected as the 'mailto' option. I wonder if the association needs renewing via the 'use other' option in preferences but where can I find the one mail program in Linux to point it to?

Foxy_Scott, Jan 1, 2009
  20. LittleBigPhil

jamesliz

Foxy Scott, Yes the link to ONE Mail when you right clik on a Fire Fox page and choose send link is broken after upgrade from Acer download page. Not sure if it even worked before upgrade, never tried it before. However, if you open FireFox and choose Edit, Preferences, mail to and choose use other.. In location screen which pops up in The Select Helper Appllication, type in /usr/acer/bin. Keep selecting open button and presto you will now have a new application to choose to send links from, called one mail. This one mail DOES NOT have default written after it. You will now have TWO one mails, one with default written after it (bad link) and another with just one mail written (good link).
    If you click on it and choose Application Details you will see its address location along with Gmail and Yahoo Mail. You can now choose Acer One Mail or either of the other two provided that you have not modified anything on your Aspire One and have used the FoxFox 3.0.3 patch from the Acer download site. Haven't figured out how to delete bad One Mail from listings, but just don't choose it. Hope this helps

jamesliz, Jan 2, 2009
Ask a Question