Acer to reduce production of 11.6" netbook

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by mzc, Jun 2, 2009.

1. mzc

mzc

mzc, Jun 2, 2009
  2. mzc

Tamrac

This is somewhat expected since the 11.6 form factor is already within the areas of true notebooks. For me, 10in is the limit for netbooks. Anything bigger, then better to get a real notebook that has alot better performance. There are so many in the 12in category. Unless they chop the price of the 11.6 down to the level of a 10inch. Then maybe....

Tamrac, Jun 2, 2009
  3. mzc

ronime

Agreed. The 1.33GHz processor is sufficient for my purposes and the useful battery life and extra screen real estate would be very useful. If Acer "End Of Line" the 751 at a sensible price then I will have one (or two).

ronime, Jun 2, 2009
  4. mzc

HaTaX

What I would like to know is how the hell can they say it's selling poorly when it's only been available here for a little over a week! HSN is apparently the only place you can get it for sure from right now, and Wal-Mart not wanting to sell it because it's marked as a recall in their system. (Went back and forth with a manager trying to convince him to sell it, but he swore that would mean his job.)

Anyway, I recently ordered up a DV2 to take the place of my AOA150 that I let go for cheap. Now I see it will be available with a dual core in the next few days, this one might have to go back and I'll wait for another new shiny one to show up with a little more power. Also, was ticked to see my DV2 came without bluetooth, was going to return on that merit alone but my total price of $688 wasn't bad for the 1030us configuration.

I really wanted to get my hands on a AO751h to see if I can make do with alot less system for almost half the price, I loved my AOA150 for everything except the horrible 1024x600 screen. That is just not enough resolution when most modern apps expect at least 768 vertical lines.

HaTaX, Jun 3, 2009
  5. mzc

ronime

Good point. When I looked into the supply situation in the UK it would seem that the 751 won't be released here until the end of this week (5 June).

ronime, Jun 3, 2009
  6. mzc

fbx

In the US I tried to buy one at WalMart tonight (6/5/09) and the cash register would not allow it. You cannot get them on Amazon in the US and, in fact, I don't know where you CAN get them. If Acer is really cutting back production because of sales then that's a cruel irony, since the 751 is virtually unknown and unavailable as far as I can tell.

fbx, Jun 6, 2009
  7. mzc

HaTaX

You sure you tried on the 5th? I noticed a few people posting comments on some boards said they had gotten a AO751h at their walmart so I decided to give mine another go (after 2 previous attempts). This time they let me buy it! I got one in a white box and haven't had much time to use it yet... Seems if you boot from a USB device, it doesn't like to boot from it, and also it killed booting from the hard drive! No good.. So that's the project for now, I'll report my findings once it's alive again..

HaTaX, Jun 6, 2009
  8. mzc

fbx

Yes, tried last night, and, just to be sure, tried this afternoon (06/06/09), and in both cases the 751 at the cash register brought up CAN NOT SELL. My guy today called the manager and the manger said if that's what it said, that's the deal. Period. I explained that this was happening all over the country and that it was probably something in WalMart's inventory system, but this didn't work.

I got no clue. The odd thing is that nobody else seems to have them for sale either. I mean, if Amazon doesn't have it, in what sense is it for sale in the first place?

If you know of someplace that has it for sale in the US mail order, pls advise.

PS: What do you mean you got one in a "white box"?

fbx, Jun 7, 2009
  9. mzc

HaTaX

Very strange... I had them tell me twice I couldn't buy it, but then I saw postings online people were able to buy them without an override. So when I went to get this one, they had sold or sent back the one they had previously and this was still in it's brown shipping carton. What I meant by I got a white box was that the laptop itself is the white model.

Quite truthfully after spending a short amount of time with it, I wouldn't waste my time hunting one down. This one will be returned very soon as overall it feels like it's a very rushed product. Not happy with it, I'll be getting the dual-core DV2 when it launches next week to fill my needs.

HaTaX, Jun 8, 2009
  10. mzc

fbx

Wowser! That's very good to know. I was excited because of the larger screen and keyboard and the light weight, but with an opinion like this I'll start to look at 12" alternatives such as Dell and HP, though I don't know a lot about them save for the good HP keyboards.

fbx, Jun 8, 2009
Ask a Question