acerim gtalk can't connect

Discussion in 'Networking' started by toddhuish, Oct 21, 2008.

1. toddhuish

toddhuish

I opened my AA1 this afternoon and am now ready to throw it into the wall. The built in messenger won't connect to gtalk but the other 3 supported protocols work just fine. With some research and some help from tcpdump I finally figured out why but don't know what to do about it.

The client is attempting to connect to 64.233.161.83 port 5222 and it can't. It won't connect because that address isn't talk.google.com which is what every other gtalk client I have uses. I've searched the forums and the Internet and I'm at a loss. I could install pidgin but I wanted to just experience the AA1 without hacking the living crap out of it on the first day I owned it. I'm sure there's an ubuntu install in its future but I would prefer to use it in its native glory for a little bit before then. What am I missing?

toddhuish, Oct 21, 2008
  2. toddhuish

toddhuish

Re: acerim gtalk can't connect *SOLVED*

After sleeping on it and finding no replies this morning I looked some more for the place acerim is holding it's global server settings. I have no idea where they are. For all I know it's just hard-coded and would require a recompile to change. I did, however figure out that if I put the following string in my ~/.purple/accounts.xml file in the prpl-jabber section everything is runs great!

<setting name='connect_server' type='string'>talk.google.com</setting>

If anyone knows what the heck is really going on and feels like elucidating for everyone, I know I'd be interested in the explanation but for myself and anyone else with the problem, here's an easy fix.

toddhuish, Oct 21, 2008
  3. toddhuish

reglof

Hi,
    I have the same trouble, how put adding this line didnt work for me :-(
    Where in the XML fle did you put it? Right as the first entry in the <settings> section?

reglof, Nov 12, 2008
Ask a Question