Add application launch to startup

Discussion in 'Modding and Customization' started by wollac, Mar 22, 2009.

1. wollac

wollac

Hello I have some applications I would like to run when I start up my aspire one. One is acerfand which despite following the instructions to make to run on start-up still does not launch along with any other files I add at the bottom of the /etc/rc.local file. I know that acerfand is not running because my fan is still noisy and when then when I start acerfand manually via the terminal it shuts up. Here:http://n00.be/archives/758/ is the link for the instructions for making the fan quiet which I have followed.

I am running Linpus lite on the Acer Aspire One HDD version.

Please help me to find a way of making programs automatically launch on start up.

wollac

wollac, Mar 22, 2009
  2. wollac

wollac

Hello I have discovered a way how to make apps load a start-up!!!!

How to do it:
    Type: sudo mousepad /etc/xdg/xfce4-session/xfce4-session.rc into a terminal window.
    Put the 'count' up by one
    Write a new line under the last 'Client' line with your application and one Client number up from the above one (probably client 4 if nothing has been added)
    E.g. from Count to the last Client will look like this:

Count=6

Client0_Command=xfdesktopnew
    Client0_PerScreen=False
    Client1_Command=xfwm4
    Client1_PerScreen=False
    Client2_Command=xfce4-panel
    Client2_PerScreen=False
    Client3_Command=/usr/share/search-bar/start-search_bar.sh
    Client3_PerScreen=False
    Client4_Command=xfcepost
    Client4_PerScreen=False
    Client5_Command=yourappcommandhere
    Client5_PerScreen=False

This will then launch any new programs that are added by this method but remember to put eh count and new client no. up by one each time whatever is added this way. So if u added another this section would look like this:

Count=7

Client0_Command=xfdesktopnew
    Client0_PerScreen=False
    Client1_Command=xfwm4
    Client1_PerScreen=False
    Client2_Command=xfce4-panel
    Client2_PerScreen=False
    Client3_Command=/usr/share/search-bar/start-search_bar.sh
    Client3_PerScreen=False
    Client4_Command=xfcepost
    Client4_PerScreen=False
    Client5_Command=yourappcommandhere
    Client5_PerScreen=False
    Client6_Command=yourapp2commandhere
    Client6_PerScreen=False

Your count is always 1 higher than your last Client entry because they start on 0. I recommend that you just copy the above client and paste it underneath and change the command to execute and the Client no. I don't think there is a limit to how many you can add, but be wary about adding too many or apps that take a long time to load becuase it will slow down the start up. The apps launched by this file are launched just before the battery icon and network connection.

Hope this is of help to anyone who wants to be able set apps to run on start-up like me,

Wollac

wollac, Mar 22, 2009
  3. wollac

GvidoR

To add a program to startup, open terminal and type "xfce4-autostart-editor" without the quotes and press enter.
    Click on "Add +" and type in the command of the program, for example "changedesktop" or "firefox" :)

Good Luck!

GvidoR, Mar 22, 2009
Ask a Question