Add new programs - what's happening?

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by bunmaster2000, Aug 21, 2008.

1. bunmaster2000

bunmaster2000

I've got an aspire one with Linpus Lite, and I'm totally unfamiliar with Linux. I've done the little hack so that I can use the linux desktop on right click.

Then I followed directions I obtained elsewhere for adding a new program (skype). (works great, btw. Instructions are here: http://www.theacerguy.com/2008/07/25/ge ... spire-one/) This involved using the "add/remove software" feature on the desktop menu.

On clicking add/remove software, the computer connected to the internet for a protracted period of time, and appeared to download an enormous amount of information about all sorts of programs. If I had to guess, it seemed like the computer was downloading some sort of information about every known program. This must have taken 5-6 minutes on a reasonably high speed connection.

My questions are: what exactly is happening when I do this? What is being dowloaded, where is the information coming from, and where is it stored? Do I have to do this every time I install a new program, or is once enough?

bunmaster2000, Aug 21, 2008
  2. bunmaster2000

Sid

The items and amount of data downloaded depends on the program.
    Some programs will cause a lot of data to be downloaded.

Sid, Aug 22, 2008
  3. bunmaster2000

Ryan

It will grab a 'small' file which contains the name of a program, it's description and it's catagory that way you can browse for what ever you want - without it having to refresh and grab more data everytime you want to browse another catagory.

Ryan, Aug 23, 2008
Ask a Question