Add/Remove programs

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Spurious, Nov 4, 2008.

1. Spurious

Spurious

I think I'm a Linux newbie so please be patient...
    I've been having a lot of problems when I try to install (or remove) a particular program using "pirut". For example, I'm trying to download the openoffice package for a Math editor. However, I check the one that seems great the I give the "apply" option and then appears a beautiful message like this "package manager will add/remove the following files" and then comes a large list of libraries or programs that will be deleted among the one I want to install... How do I know what will be installed or remove?

Spurious, Nov 4, 2008
  2. Spurious

rbil

The whole idea behind Linux package managers is to make it easier for the end-user to install or remove applications without needing to worry about dependencies. An application typically involves a binary file, associated library files (if you're coming from the Windows world, think of them as dlls), required icons, documentation, configuration settings (think of them like the Windows registry, only much better because you can access them with a simple text editor) and possibly script files, along with knowing where to install all this stuff.

In the "old days" prior to package managers, Linux users had to do all this stuff manually when installing an application. Today, package managers make installing and removing software a simple process. The package manager will "know" what dependencies are required by every application that has been installed through the package manager. It'll know if it is ok to replace a dependency with another one without doing damage to another application that requires a particular dependency. It'll also "know" when a particular dependency will conflict with an existing one and so warn you.

The only way this can work is if you always install applications using a package manager. It is possible to install applications outside of a package manager, but then you really should know what you're doing and be prepared to fix things should the installation break something else.

I'm not trying to suggest that package managers can't make mistakes, as the packages are put together by humans, who can make silly mistakes.

Hope this helps you understand the process a little. Essentially, you shouldn't have to concern yourself with dependencies when using a package manager.

Cheers.

rbil, Nov 4, 2008
  3. Spurious

Spurious

Thank you for your response rbil. It is very helpful to know this.
    I hope I won't have problems after I've just installed Mathematica... Fortunately I managed to install all the openoffice applicationes (Math editor, etc.) without problems and no "removal applications" in the package manager installation.

Spurious, Nov 4, 2008
Ask a Question