Add/Remove Software

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Toh-Maag, Mar 6, 2009.

1. Toh-Maag

Toh-Maag

I do not know what I have done wrong but the machine does nothing at all when I click on add/remove software.
    I haven't done anything experimental - just installed stuff according to to the Word of Macles.
    Linpus on a 8gb One

Toh-Maag, Mar 6, 2009
  2. Toh-Maag

daldred

If you open a terminal and type
    Code:
    sudo pirut
    what happens?

daldred, Mar 7, 2009
  3. Toh-Maag

Toh-Maag

That did it, thanks :) . The only things I have done lately which could have had an effect is to install cups as a prelude to installing TangoGPS,
    which coincidentally I have had no luck with and emptying the trash - it is possible that there was something in there that I should not have deleted and is only now making it's present felt.
    Is there a way of restoring Package Manager to the menu or will I have to continue running it from the command line?

Toh-Maag, Mar 9, 2009
  4. Toh-Maag

moolwadowns

HI

I have suddenly developed the same problem with add/remove software It has worked fine for months and now suddenly does not work

I have tried using the terminal with the coding as suggested :

Code: Select all
    sudo pirut

but I only get a bad command error message

Any help would be appreciated - I really am a Linux novice !!!

i

moolwadowns, Mar 15, 2009
  5. Toh-Maag

daldred

]

Part of that (Code: Select All) is the functionality of this forum: it's a code box, and clicking on 'select all' selects all the code in the box so that you can copy and paste it. If you've actually copied 'Code:select all' into the terminal, you will get an error: you wouldn't be the first!

Instead, copy the *contents* of the code box (sudo pirut) into your terminal and see what happens when you press the 'enter' key.

daldred, Mar 16, 2009
Ask a Question