Add Remove software

Discussion in 'Linux' started by liamweaver, Apr 21, 2009.

1. liamweaver

liamweaver

Hi when i click on add remove software i get a message saying retrieving software information but it goes about athird of the way up the loading bar then freezes. i have read that a yum update would help but have tried this with no solution, any help would be much appreciated

liamweaver, Apr 21, 2009
  2. liamweaver

daldred

The repositories are sometimes very slow; if you're getting part way through it may be that one of the repos is not responding at all.

Two options:

1. Just keep trying; using a wired rather than a wireless connection may help;

2. Run the command in a terminal and see what error messages come up. This is going to be easiest to do if you know what you're trying to install, since you can then do it all at once!

Say you're trying to install the GIMP (a graphics package), then

- Press Alt-F2
    - type "sudo yum install gimp"
    - tick the 'run in a terminal" box
    - press 'run'

If there's a repo not responding you'll get a message to that effect; if the messages don't make sense or you get stuck, copy the messages and paste them back into an article here for more help.

daldred, Apr 22, 2009
  3. liamweaver

liamweaver

thanks david this is what i get when i do what you suggested
    fedora 100% |=========================| 2.1 kB 00:00
    updates 100% |=========================| 2.6 kB 00:00
    Setting up Install Process
    Parsing package install arguments

liamweaver, Apr 22, 2009
  4. liamweaver

daldred

Did it return to a normal prompt after that? If so, it's installed the software!

daldred, Apr 22, 2009
  5. liamweaver

liamweaver

sorry i dont know what a normal prompt is , i have tried it with inkscape how would i know if it is installed

liamweaver, Apr 22, 2009
  6. liamweaver

daldred

If you've not done so already, enable the 'advanced' desktop as described in this thread. Then Inkscape should appear in the menu you get when you right-click on the desktop.

Linux sets categories for software in menus automatically; Inkscape will probably be under Graphics.

daldred, Apr 22, 2009
Ask a Question