Added an antenna

Discussion in 'Modding and Customization' started by pablo101, Dec 26, 2008.

1. pablo101

MartinQ

I've found out some details about the AAO antennas. The coax cable is 1.13mm diameter and is 40cm (black) and 60cm (white) long. This cable (-3.3dB/m) should reduce the signal by approx 1.3dB (black) and 2dB (white) according to information from:

http://www.rfconnector.com/rf-cable-reference.php
    http://mouser.com/catalog/specsheets/g_ ... 5_1207.pdf
    http://molex.ttieurope.com/news%20in%20 ... 20spec.pdf

On top of that, by the look of the antennas I doubt any more effective than 1.5dBi. So to get some decent reception we need to use a shorter and/or better cable, and definitely a better antenna. Stay tuned (heehee) for updates.

[attachment=0:dt6jllqj]Tyco UMCC Cable Chart 340.jpg[/attachment:dt6jllqj][attachment=3:dt6jllqj]IMG_2794 340.jpg[/attachment:dt6jllqj][attachment=2:dt6jllqj]IMG_2796 340.jpg[/attachment:dt6jllqj][attachment=1:dt6jllqj]IMG_2798 340.jpg[/attachment:dt6jllqj]

MartinQ, Feb 1, 2009
  2. pablo101

roadlet_411

I've got a little interest in adding an external antenna, but I'm not wanting to have it there all the time, just when I might need a little extra range. I'm assuming that if I were to add the connector to the side of the case, I would have to screw in the antenna to get my wifi, as this would be the only way the card would be connected to an antenna. I'm wondering if there's a way (other than just adding a switch or maybe just soldering both wires together) to be able to accomplish this. I'm guessing I'm looking for something that will disconnect the internal antenna when I plug in the external? I just don't want that antenna hanging off the side all the time and want to keep the wifi.

roadlet_411, Feb 5, 2009
  3. pablo101

Ranger Wolf

just wondering, would it be possible to take out the mic jack and use that hole for an antenna to stick out of?

Ranger Wolf, Feb 5, 2009
  4. pablo101

flex737

Heres what my antenna project turned out like. The plug sticks out a little more than id like it to though. I'm trying to place it deeper inside, but its pretty tight as it is.

flex737, Feb 6, 2009
  5. pablo101

bianco

Is it possible to use the mic input (red 3.5mm socket) as a port for the wifi antenna?

I know certain tracks on the pcb would have to be cut and a custom aerial adapter would have to be made but it would certainly be the most attractive solution for a temporary signal boost!

bianco, Feb 9, 2009
  6. pablo101

jerryt

I think if you unsolder the mic jack from the daughter board and then cut the PCB of the daughter card back enough to clear the SMA nut, it might work...

jerryt, Feb 9, 2009
  7. pablo101

smilespray

Thanks for all the tips in this thread.

I have a Broadcom 4321 n-capable card in my Aspire One. I opened an old router, and lo and behold I found the right connectors and cables. I routed the cables out the security port and connected both antennas, since there are two connectors on my MiniPCI card,

My connection went from being flaky at best to being rock stable!

Questions:

1) Do I need both antennas, even for possible future 5GHz 802.11n access? Is one used for transmission and the other for receival? Does this apply tto 802.11g?
    2) Do they have to be spaced far apart in order to avoid inrerference? (The cables are pretty short so they are close now)
    3) I have soldering skills. What does it exactly take to disconnect the wires inside the display and make a solid connection? (I had a look and gave up.)
    4) What is the best method for making a nice looking, secure mounting hole at the top of the display? I have two 8dB antennas on order.

Thanks in advance for any and all replies.

smilespray, Feb 9, 2009
  8. pablo101

jpgirl

Wicked!
    That is exactly what I want to do but it still sticks out a little too much for my liking :(
    You did an awesome job though!

I like the one on the back corner of the LCD too but I would want to run the wire internally to the external antenna and I don;t think I have room to run another wire up there with the touchscreen wires in there too, the bezel at the hinge won't even close fully now but I don't notice it unless the LCD is open all the way. One more wire in there just might be asking too much.

jpgirl, Feb 9, 2009
  9. pablo101

Byte_wize

What about the other hinge, only the display and usb wires go there? Besides that, you would have a antenna plug there, and you could connect virtually any wifi antenna there without much hussle. The possibilities are endless! :cool:

Byte_wize, Feb 10, 2009
  10. pablo101

teh_qube

all the flipping pictures are screwed up@ £@$£@!$!@±±±±!!!!
    any care to re-upload anything?

teh_qube, Feb 10, 2009
  11. pablo101

smilespray

Good idea. I guess the pigtails I've ordered are long enough to to stuff like this. Right now they barely poke out of the Kensington Security Port. Also the laptop wouldn't be too top-heavy with two 8dB antennas mounted shoddily at the top.

smilespray, Feb 10, 2009
  12. pablo101

Chaos

im tired of all of the pictures getting automatically deleted from this site. it makes uploading pictures almost pointless.

Chaos, Feb 10, 2009
  13. pablo101

MartinQ

Why are pictures getting deleted?

MartinQ, Feb 10, 2009
  14. pablo101

flex737

I uploaded the pictures again, i don't know why they get deleted after only a couple days.

flex737, Feb 10, 2009
  15. pablo101

teh_qube

this is off topic, but could you either make a topic or post pictures of your metalic silver/green acer on here? ;)

teh_qube, Feb 11, 2009
  16. pablo101

Byte_wize

Look at bottom of the first page.
    The paint job isn't the best(i've never painted a lappy before), but looks pretty nice :p
    I used car paint but forgot to add the protective layer.

P.S. Its metallic Green/Brown

Byte_wize, Feb 11, 2009
  17. pablo101

teh_qube

wow..! you're really bold mounting it on the back of the LCD.. whats that on top of the F buttons? bluetooth? hows the antenna handle?

that said though, not bad for a 1st attempt ;)

teh_qube, Feb 11, 2009
  18. pablo101

Byte_wize

The black thing is a DIP switch, it's for 3.5G, BT, GPS. The antenna plug is really steady, since the plastic is really thick(almost 3mm). I still remove the antenna, when moving.

Byte_wize, Feb 11, 2009
  19. pablo101

Slambodia

hey, i havent really been paying close attention to this thread, with the exception of anyone whos posted with pictures of there external antenna. i think its like the first post or something where buddy mounted an antenna near the PWR switch really sloppy (grats). i was inspired to do the same just a bit cleaner but noticed that the little security lock thingy is part of the hinge and very hard to drill through without the right equipment ( a drill bit for drilling into steel ). So somewhere else on the forums someone mentioned that theres some space near the mic and headphone jacks, so i decided to mount the external antenna around there. the mounting was successful with a minor draw back.

the nut from the threaded mounting peice creates pressure on the panel that the mic/headphone/usb ports are attached to which is easy to deal with. when putting the screws back to hold that panel down just dont screw them in uber tight ( thats what she said ) this will still keep that panel secured but without applying more pressure to the panel.
    another thing is that when i fully re-assembled the AO i noticed a space between the top cover of the case and bottom cover right near where i mounted the antenna. lol i can see the wireless cards LED lite blinking from the gap that i created. -____-

anyways, im a n00b on this forum stuff and dont know how to post pictures or else i would just to show you what im talking about. if someone would like to tell me or whatever that would be awesome. thanks, and if your going to mount an antenna GL with that. ^____^ v

Slambodia, Feb 11, 2009
  20. pablo101

flex737

I ran into the problem with the hinge at first. Then I noticed i can cut that portion of the hinge off, so i used a dremel with a metal saw bit to cut it off. It didn't effect the hinges strength at all, because it gets most of its strength from being held down by those 2 screws.

flex737, Feb 12, 2009
Ask a Question