Adding another OS without removing XP!

Discussion in 'Windows' started by rayman121985, Nov 19, 2008.

1. rayman121985

rayman121985

Hey all,

I just recieved my Acer One! I was curious...is it possible to add OSX or Ubuntu without removing XP? I already have XP on it and was wondering could I install either of those two OS without having to start over and remove XP. So again just to make sure there is no confusion...I have XP on the Acer already and want to add either OSX or Ubuntu without removing XP. Can this be done friends? If so do you have any links from this site how to install another OS along side XP without removing XP first!

Thanks!

::rayman::

rayman121985, Nov 19, 2008
  2. rayman121985

rory

yep
    resize the partition
    install lets say os x on the free space
    put in your xp disk into an external dvd drive connected to the aao
    click repair
    youre done

rory, Nov 19, 2008
  3. rayman121985

rayman121985

Sounds pretty straight forward but I hopefully can find a tutorial that gives a little bit more of details.

4. rayman121985

rory

search dual boot os x xp
    or dual boot ubuntu xp
    on google
    both come up with comprehensive guides

rory, Nov 19, 2008
  5. rayman121985

ampsonic

I've found that the partitioner built into the Ubuntu installer (gparted i believe) works great. I went through the ubuntu install process, resized the xp partition, created new partitions for ubuntu and mac osx, and had no trouble at all. Kept the xp partition intact.

ampsonic, Nov 19, 2008
  6. rayman121985

daldred

Honestly, if it's any up to faster Linux you're thinking of using, you don't need a tutorial. The installers tend to take you through it - they detect Windows is around and ask you whether you want to overwrite it or make it budge up a bit to give Linux space too.

If you'd installed Linux first it would be complicated, since Windows tends just to trash access to any competitor system it finds on your disk (or to be more accurate, perhaps it doesn't bother to look). There are ways round this, provided you plan it first.

daldred, Nov 19, 2008
  7. rayman121985

rayman121985

So lets say I install ubuntu...will it take care of pretty much everything for me? Such as on boot up will it let me choose between the two os's?

Thanks!

8. rayman121985

MR650

Yes and no. If you want to use GRUB (the bootloader included with Ubuntu) as your master loader then Yes. If you want to maintain your current PQSERVICE functionality and XP partition without messing with the MBR then you want to shrink your XP partition toward the beginning of your drive, create an ext3 partition for your '/' linux root, create a swap space (choose a size, mine is 2 gigs and hibernation works), then use the manual installer for ubuntu and in this case choose to install GRUB on /dev/sda3.. You'll see what the designation for your 3rd partition is when using the Ubuntu partitioner so remember that and choose it from the drop down menu in the advanced section before you apply all the changes and install.

Then you need a fat formatted flash drive and you need to copy the first track of the partition to the flash drive. Transfer the boot file to your XP root and edit your xp boot loader. Now you're basically strapped w/: PQSERVICE (acer recovery partition 1) alt/+f10, XP (and hopefully you ran C:\i386\winnt32.exe /cmdcons to add the XP recovery console), Ubuntu and GRUB working, and swap.

So, if you want a simple install then Yes. If you want your operating systems using 'native' bootloaders with minimal impact to the existing system then no.

MR650, Nov 21, 2008
Ask a Question