adding applications to menu

Discussion in 'Linux' started by elvinibbotson, Aug 29, 2008.

1. elvinibbotson

elvinibbotson

I have hidden the default icons (Connect, Work, Fun,...) and start most applications by right clicking on the desktop and choosing from the pop-up menu. I have also installed some applications but not all of these have appeared in this menu. I can run them using the Run Program... option from the menu (or Alt-F2) but this is a drag. How do I add applications to the menu? There is a menu editor in Settings, but it does not seem to edit the menu directly.

elvinibbotson, Aug 29, 2008
  2. elvinibbotson

hiker_jon

Hi,

I'd like to know how to delete items from this menu. I have used wine to install some windows applications that turned out not to work. But their uninstallation failed leaving a bunch of useless menu items that I would like to get rid of.

Jon

hiker_jon, Aug 31, 2008
  3. elvinibbotson

hiker_jon

Hi,
    I'm still a little vague about how to delete from the desktop menu, but have learned how to add to it. Be forewarned that I am not a knowledgeable Linux user so this may not be the best way. Maybe others can help fix any mistakes I make.

First create a .desktop file for the application you want to add. lets call it app.desktop. There are lots of examples in /usr/share/applications.
    I log in as root and put the file in that directory.
    then type
    sudo desktop-file-install /usr/local/applications/app.desktop

Thats it.
    It may be that you can create the file anywhere and the desktop-file-install will put it into the proper place. I am not sure of this.

Jon

hiker_jon, Sep 3, 2008
  4. elvinibbotson

Shad0wguy

To remove the icons you can delete the line entirely, but I wouldn't recommend it. It is better to simply comment out the one you dont want to display by putting at the end.

Shad0wguy, Sep 16, 2008
  5. elvinibbotson

Colt45

?

Colt45, Sep 22, 2008
  6. elvinibbotson

wcs

So far as I know, whenever you put a .desktop file in /usr/share/applications a new entry shows up.
    Whenever you remove it (or move the desktop file somewhere else), the entry disappears.

In xfce, most icons are in /usr/share/pixmaps, so you just need to specify the icon name in the desktop file.

I don't suppose there's a need to run desktop-file-install.

Note that I'm not specifically talking about the linpus distribution in the One. This is just a general fact about xfce.
    There might be particular things going on with linpus.

It's usually the responsibility of the people that package software for repositories to bundle the desktop files, and indeed most graphical software comes with the desktop files even if you compile it yourself.

wcs, Oct 17, 2008
Ask a Question