Adding internal Bluetooth?

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by WJBertrand, Sep 15, 2009.

1. WJBertrand

WJBertrand

Hi All, first post here. I have the 10.1" Acer Aspire One. I've searched the forums but can't find exactly the answer I'm looking for. Is there an easy way to add an internal Bluetooth card to this unit? I'd like to tether to my phone, and use a mini Bluetooth mouse without using up all of the USB ports. If such a thing is possible, what is the recommended one? Thanks.

-Jeff

WJBertrand, Sep 15, 2009
  2. WJBertrand

TomFernandez

Hello Jeff,

I'd also like to add an internal Bluetooth transceiver to my D250. I'm currently using a dongle, but I'd rather free-up a USB port and mount it inside. From what I can see, there would be room to install the dongle inside the area for the 3G card, or for the HDD. One would have to find a place to route and connect the wires.

I've heard that the earlier model aspires had solder pads for an additional, but used USB port on the motherboard. I don't know if the D250 also has these pads available. If these pads are not available, I'd wonder if the connections could be made to the 3G wireless card connector. My BlackBerry is going to be the source of my datalink for my Aspire, so I could live without the use of the 3G option.

Anybody else have any thoughts on this?

Tom

TomFernandez, Sep 15, 2009
  3. WJBertrand

TomFernandez

Maybe Radioman193 has some thoughts on this, his D250 seems like a testbed for mods!

TomFernandez, Sep 16, 2009
  4. WJBertrand

AOD150BLACK

The easiest way is to add an internal usb hub, which can be placed over the memory stick. The touchscreen kits use this method. The usb hub uses the camera's usb port, so you have to use one of the usb hub's ports for the camera.

If you then strip the guts out of a usb bluetooth dongle, you should be able to fit it inside, probably near the front to the side of the trackpad.

AOD150BLACK, Sep 17, 2009
  5. WJBertrand

TomFernandez

Dunno how I missed your reply, but thank you!

TOM

TomFernandez, Oct 31, 2009
  6. WJBertrand

KlipschFan

KlipschFan, Nov 2, 2009
  7. WJBertrand

gwheaton

gwheaton, Nov 3, 2009
  8. WJBertrand

MYUSERNAME

I bought one of those. It works great. The cable is long, but it is better than too short.
    I then cut out the hole where the button goes, and fashioned one using a clear toothbrush handle.
    You fit it by sanding till it works the way you want.
    I put 2 little foam pads on the bottom edges and it works and lights up blue.
    [​IMG]

I also scratched out a spot where the 3G light is to the left of the WIFI light.

MYUSERNAME, Nov 4, 2009
  9. WJBertrand

gwheaton

Thanks for the pic. I got mine ordered finally. I am going to try to do the button like you did, looks nice.

gwheaton, Nov 4, 2009
  10. WJBertrand

goaten2000

I've recently purchased the D250 (used to have the 8.9" model) and think I may have found a mini pci-e solution....

Dell have got a mini pci-e blutooth module (search eBay for Dell wireless 370)

I'm trying to get hold of one to put into the 3G hatch under the laptop. Once I've got it / done it, I'll post back results here

goaten2000, Nov 17, 2009
Ask a Question