Adding XP to dual boot

Discussion in 'MacOS' started by AK963, Oct 26, 2009.

1. AK963

AK963

Thanks to everyone involved in the iDeneb 1.6 guide I'm now running 10.5.6 flawlessly (minus a couple of graphical glitches and ethernet issues) and now I'd like to add Windows XP so I can dual boot my AAO. I know there's a dual boot section in the forum but I'm asking in the OS X section as there are likely to be more people with experience in chameleon.

My 120GB HDD is partitioned like this:

35GB HFS+ <-Where OS X is installed
    35GB Unpartitioned <-Where I would like XP
    40 FAT32 <-Just for storing files that both OS'es could access.

Can I just install XP from a USB stick (which I've done previously) to the free partition (format as NTFS), or do I need to do some preperation before hand? Would I just choose to boot from that partition in chameleon when the computer boots, or would the windows bootloader replace chameleon?

Any help is greatly appreciated :)

AK963, Oct 26, 2009
  2. AK963

my2cents

Try this thread. It worked for me on my AOA 150...

http://osx.mechdrew.com/guides/advanced2.shtml

I installed 10.6 first, then XP. Then, very important, type the commands in Terminal to allow Chameleon to work in order to select your OS to boot from.

3. Run the following command, hitting enter after each line (this will be done automatically by NetbookInstaller in RC3). Note that i'm assuming you installed OS X to the first partition (partition number 2), if it's different, change the 2 to that partition number.

fdisk -e /dev/disk0
    f 2
    w (pres y if it asks you to confirm)
    q

Ignore the error you get on the first command ( fdisk -e /dev/disk0 ), and type it all as specified. It works for me.

I followed the 2nd option ( Example 2: GUID Multi-Boot for Windows XP ).

Give it a try ;)

my2cents, Nov 22, 2009
Ask a Question