Administrator rights

Discussion in 'Linux' started by antoniadis-nikos, Jan 2, 2009.

1. antoniadis-nikos

antoniadis-nikos

Hi everyone,

I recently bought an acer aspire one the one with the linpus linux. I have several times tried to access the folder that contains the installed programmes itself but i wasn't allowed to do this because i do not have administrator rights as i was informed. I searched the manual but couldn't find how to become an administrator. Any ideas?

antoniadis-nikos, Jan 2, 2009
  2. antoniadis-nikos

daldred

I'm not at all clear what you are trying to do. I can get to the directories which contains executable programs (they are mainly in /bin, /sbin and /usr/bin) simply by opening My Files and putting '/' into the address bar.

You won't be able to change much in these directories if you haven't root status; to run the file manager as root, use the run dialog (alt-f2) and enter 'sudo thunar'.

I'm a bit concerned, though, about what you may be trying to do; saying "the folder that contains the installed programmes" leads me to suspect that you are thinking in Windows terms, and risk doing a lot of damage to your system. Linux is not Windows; program files and their configuration files will not all be in a single 'Program Files' folder, and you can make a serious mess if you act as Linux root user while thinking in Windows.

daldred, Jan 2, 2009
  3. antoniadis-nikos

Darryl

Try this
    in terminal type:
    sudo su (enter)
    passwd (enter)
    then it will ask you for a new one. Type it in once then it will ask you to confirm, it will not show on screen

This will give you all the rights you need but i cannot stress enough take heed of the above post. All the best :)

Darryl, Jan 2, 2009
Ask a Question