Advance Network Options?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by singapore_sling, Aug 29, 2008.

1. singapore_sling

singapore_sling

Guys I really need some help. I need to get onto my University's wifi, but the network center that comes pre-installed doesn't have advanced enough options for me to configure it to connect. To get around this I tried to install a VPN client, but I need the linux kernel source directory and I have no idea what it is(im a linux nub). ANY help would be greatly appreciated.

singapore_sling, Aug 29, 2008
  2. singapore_sling

Sid

You could talk to the university geeks and get more information (and ask if they will support you).

Technically there are ways to connect, but the Uni' may have rules you need to adhere to.

what advanced options do you need?

Sid, Aug 29, 2008
  3. singapore_sling

IMSancho

If there is a link to your university's wifi instructions for Windows that would be helpful too so we can see what type of encryption and authentication they use. Usually you'll just be able to upgrade the NetworkManager to support WPA Enterprise and adapt the settings from the Windows instructions, and although most Uni's won't support this, that just means they won't be able to give you any help if it doesn't work, not necessarily that it is forbidden to connect with a non-supported OS. Of course if they do expressly forbid non supported OS's then you're probably out of luck.

IMSancho, Aug 29, 2008
Ask a Question