Aircrack-ng

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Aviel, Aug 3, 2008.

1. Aviel

Aviel

Does someone have some experience with aircrack-NG on the Aspire one -> Linpus?
    does it work well?

tya

Aviel, Aug 3, 2008
  2. Aviel

hmraao

Now that's one heck of a loaded question. Is there anything else you'd like me to admit to, officer?

Ephraim Tutt takes on the cases no one else wants. Protecting the unwary.

hmraao, Aug 22, 2008
  3. Aviel

yodersj

Could be Aviel is a security professional and sees the AA1 as a device that could be used for mobile wireless assessment. ;) Carrying around even a 14" screen laptop on an approved assessment check is no fun.

yodersj, Aug 23, 2008
  4. Aviel

hmraao

Ah, yes! Thinking of the Pete Townsend defence, are you, hmm? The phrase "the other one, pull, got bells on, it has" comes to mind.

[Edited to improve YodaSpeak grammar. Personally, if I got stopped by the rozzers with a set of bumpkeys in my possession, I'd know what side my bread was buttered. But reviewers are free to ggl the uses of aircrack-ng and backtrack3 and come to their own conclusions.]

hmraao, Aug 23, 2008
  5. Aviel

dandesigns

i think that is not the author's question.. :)

I have installed aircrack-ng but no luck.

dandesigns, Aug 23, 2008
  6. Aviel

hmraao

With all due respect, no luck with what?

No luck getting the application to run, or no luck with using it to break into other peoples' wifi networks?

What I took the original poster's question to be was "does anyone know if aircrack-ng on the Linux AAO is any good for hacking into other peoples' wireless networks?" Which from my viewpoint is a leading question. But perhaps I was mistaken. In which case, I apologise unreservedly.

hmraao, Aug 23, 2008
  7. Aviel

Ryan

It depends if the drivers on this allow the features needed by such programs such as injection etc etc, if you can try installing backtrack on the AAO this would be one amazing penetration testing machine. I didn't see anything loaded about this question - I use backtrack and aircrack-ng regularly.

Ryan, Aug 23, 2008
  8. Aviel

dsthode

dsthode, Aug 23, 2008
  9. Aviel

FireSoul

FireSoul, Aug 24, 2008
  10. Aviel

Laslow

I'll admit it :)

I installed Kbuntu on my A10, loaded the Madwifi drivers, and installed Aircrack-ng without issue. Once installed, it started and ran without *many* issues, however if I leave it for too long (eg, more than 8 hours), airodump-ng crashes hard and I need to shutdown. It's an issue with airodump-ng itself, not the AA1.

Good luck - if you need a guide (from installation to cracking), give this one a try: http://www.aircrack-ng.org/doku.php?id=newbie_guide

Laslow, Aug 24, 2008
  11. Aviel

jjoshua

How did you find out those are the correct madwifi drivers and that they are the most up-to-date?
    Edit: So I downloaded that and extracted it and I'm having trouble compiling and installing. I suppose I use the sudo make on some file?

jjoshua, Aug 25, 2008
  12. Aviel

dxp

I Think there's no need of new drivers.
    To put the net card in monitor mode:
    (As root)
    >wlanconfig ath0 destroy
    >wlanconfig ath0 create wlandev wifi0 wlanmode monitor

to capture packets:

airodump-ng ath0 -w file

to put the net card in managed mode again:

>wlanconfig ath0 destroy
    >wlanconfig ath0 create wlandev wifi0 wlanmode managed

dxp, Aug 25, 2008
  13. Aviel

mfresh

Doos anyone know if those drivers need patching for packet injection?

mfresh, Aug 25, 2008
  14. Aviel

jjoshua

I'm in the terminal as root as >wlanconfig ath0 destroy says bash: ath0: command not found. Any ideas?
    When I was trying to compile the mad-wifi drivers it was saying I need to set kernel path. I downloaded the kernel and ran make in it. I recall I do something like PATH=$
    Edit: I tried again not as root using sudo in front and it seems to have worked to put in monitor mode... don't know if I can inject yet.

jjoshua, Aug 26, 2008
  15. Aviel

dsthode

@jjoshua:

These drivers are a fork from madwifi drivers, patched to support Atheros 5007 card. For compiling you need to have the kernel headers installed. You can get them with yum, the package name is "kernel-devel" (off the top of my head, I'm not quite sure about the name)

@dxp:

IIRC, you can monitor with this driver, but you can't inject packets.

@mfresh:

As I said, injection works with this driver, it's already a patched version form original madwifi drivers.

dsthode, Aug 26, 2008
  16. Aviel

jjoshua

I followed these instructions to get my kernel and make it. http://macles.blogspot.com/2008/08/read ... mment-form
    And i tried this symbolic linking instructions: http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions ... fi-477292/.
    I also tried getting the kernel-devel. I still have that problem. The symbolic links I created appear to be broken. Any tips? I'm running rather low on space after doing all this. I only have 1.6 gb left. But I don't really need any more space cause I have an SD for vids and music and pics. And I can delete a lot of kernel files and stuff later.

jjoshua, Aug 27, 2008
  17. Aviel

hasfrochbuster

Watch out Guys!!! there's no need to add Kernel stuff, or new drivers...

It's possible to make Kismet and Aircrack-ng work out, just the proper commands (As dxp is recommending).
    Note don't forget to make this as root, don't use sudo use su instead

In any case please make us know how it works for you.

hasfrochbuster, Aug 29, 2008
  18. Aviel

jjoshua

Monitoring works for me, but not injection. I could have been doing it wrong, but someone said it needed new drivers for injection.

jjoshua, Aug 30, 2008
  19. Aviel

stewx

If someone has instructions on how to perform wep cracking through Backtrack 3 (USB version) on the Aspire One, I would be very grateful.

stewx, Sep 3, 2008
  20. Aviel

jjoshua

That sounds fun. I'd like to try that. I'd like instructions on how to get injection working please.

jjoshua, Sep 7, 2008
Ask a Question