Airport extreme card for wireless N

Discussion in 'Modding and Customization' started by srvaao, Jan 10, 2009.

1. srvaao

srvaao

I have an original MacPro that had an Airport Extreme card in it, but my new house is hardwired so I no longer need it on the machine. When I bought an AAO (160GB/1GB/XP Home), I read about hacking for Leopard and that the Apple card or a Dell card would be needed for wireless to work in Leopard. While I decide on whether or not to try Leopard, I thought it would be worth it to try to upgrade to 802.11N as well as increase RAM to 1.5GB. After opening the computer and changing out the RAM, I switched the pci-e network card and hooked up the two antennae (I don't know if newer cards have 3, but mine had 2). On reboot, the card wasn't recognized. I found a post on driverguide.com (http://forums.driverguide.com/showthread.php?t=23127) and downloaded a driver from Dell (R140747.exe) which makes then card recognized as a Dell 1500 N card. Now my wireless speed is listed at 130Mbps instead of 56. Sweet! Hope this helps someone down the road.

srvaao, Jan 10, 2009
Ask a Question