alt-f10 not working???

Discussion in 'Windows' started by cyke1, Feb 14, 2011.

1. cyke1

cyke1

Hi guys I've had my aspire one for a while now and I had a problem a while back where it wouldn't but up into windows xp at all and it couldn't be restored at all I was able to get it up and running using ubuntu and test disk, now it is running xp fine except I get a pop-up saying PQSERVICE(D:) is low on disk space. I have been living with that pop up for a while now and wanted to finally do a restore but when I alt-f10 at start up nothing happens, is there anything I could do I don't have a restore disk handy or a external dvd to run one anyway? I only have xp computers here at home is there anyway to restore from a flash drive I have tried wintoflash with xp on it and all it sees is the flash drive. Please help!!! Thanks.

cyke1, Feb 14, 2011
  2. cyke1

elPaulio Moderator

Hi there,

When your computer boots up hit F2 to enter the BIOS.
    In there you will find an entry called something like D2D Recovery. Make sure this is set to enabled and then re-try the Alt+F10 recovery method.

Cheers

Paul :ugeek:

elPaulio, Feb 14, 2011
  3. cyke1

cyke1

Thanks, I tried it and it is enabled. I might try disabling it and reboot and enable again. I have read gere that since I can see the partition as a d drive a should look for a mbr, file in the rytools folder but all I have in there is 2 files, napp2p and napp2p_sethidden. Thanks again

cyke1, Feb 14, 2011
  4. cyke1

cyke1

I tried enabling the d2d in the bios and after rebooting when I press alt-f10, all that happens is a cursor shows up in the top left corner and then straight back to windows. I downloaded the mbr files just in case I need them but I'm not sure what I should do with them? Any help would be great. Thanks.

cyke1, Feb 15, 2011
  5. cyke1

donec

I don't know why but often (not always) installing grub to dual boot Windows and a Linux distro makes Alt+F10 not work.

donec, Feb 16, 2011
Ask a Question