ALT+F2 doesn't work

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Havoc, Apr 12, 2009.

1. Havoc

Havoc

Hello, I'm new to the Acer One. I use linux now for a few years, probably enough to be dangerous. But this is blocking me now.

I wanted a normal desktop and started with the thread in the beginners section "Linpus Lite advanced mode - how do you activate?" There they linked to "Get the Linux desktop you always wanted in 10 easy steps!" viewtopic.php?f=39&t=4310&p=28777#p28777 and I started following these instructions.

I got to "step 5: reboot" and now I have a desktop but the next step is "alt+F2". And nothing happens. I don't get a terminal. Tried left and right clicking on the desktop, other conbimations (in case the keyboard is messed up) but I cannot get a terminal or any other application. The bottom bar is there with clock, volume, battery and network. Clicking those works.

I did change some settings in the default interface: focus follows mouse, single click to activate, no docking of windows at the borders, probably a few more I forget.

Any idea how to continue without wiping the HD?

Havoc, Apr 12, 2009
  2. Havoc

klamath

Not sure if I right understood, but if you want to switch from desktop to a linux consolle you have to press " Ctrl+alt+F2 "

klamath, Apr 12, 2009
  3. Havoc

Havoc

If you want to go directly to a terminal, then ctrl+alt+f2 is correct. But they want to get a window where you can start a termainal. This worked before I got the desktop and it works in Gentoo.

I tried, but neither alt+f2 or ctrl+alt+f2 does anything. It looks as if the function buttons don't do anything?

Havoc, Apr 12, 2009
  4. Havoc

solpuerto

Hi Havoc

I followed the 10 steps etc and simultaneously pressing the Alt key and the F2 key brings up the Run program dialog box with terminal highlighted in the run box. Clicking Run will then open Terminal.
    If you have activated the click right mouse button to bring up the Xfce menu you will find Terminal listed under System, clicking it will open Terminal. Also if you also open Home or File system and select File you will see Terminal listed.

If none of these options are available on your desktop you may need to start again.

Best wishes.

solpuerto, Apr 13, 2009
  5. Havoc

Havoc

Neither right click, nor left click nor ALT+F2 not CTLR+ALT+F2 does anything. As you say, nuke it seem to be the only solution. But it will be a distro that starts in a terminal...

Havoc, Apr 14, 2009
  6. Havoc

Guest Guest

You may try to revert the changes as follows:
    1) restart your Aspire One
    2) when it starts booting, start pressing Ctrl-C; do it a few times, until boot terminates and you're dropped to the textual console
    3) from there you should be able to revert your changes (if you didn't back up the modified files, you'll have to use vi to edit your files, 'cause there doesn't seem to be any "console text editor for dummies", like nano or pico, installed by default)
    4) type reboot when you're done

Guest, Apr 15, 2009
  7. Havoc

elektricat

Try this, maybe your hot keys are messed up...
    1.Access terminal the long way, by clicking on the file manager then clicking file.
    2. Type xfce-setting-show into terminal
    3. Click on the keyboard icon in the pop up box and then on the shortcut tab and check out what keyboard sequences are allocated to what actions.

Good Luck!

elektricat, Apr 16, 2009
  8. Havoc

Havoc

Thanks for the suggestions. I restored with the CD in the mean time.

The ctrl-c is something I have to remember, might be useful one day.

Havoc, Apr 17, 2009
Ask a Question