ALT+F4 for sutting down possible?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by fmazzanti, Nov 4, 2008.

1. fmazzanti

fmazzanti

Hi One-ers ;)

just a quicky here: I'd like to have ALT+F4 to shutdown by (lovely!) One, is this possible?
    I know if I have a program opened, or a terminal, hitting ALT+F4 closes it, so I was wondering if there's a way to close *everything* (=shut down)
    when I hit ALT+F4 on the main desktop... any hints?

Best regards and thanks,

Ferran.

fmazzanti, Nov 4, 2008
  2. fmazzanti

KGB

According to my (German) description here http://gborn.blogger.de/stories/1260611/ it might be possible.

Use Alt+F2 and type xterm to open a terminal window.
    Just use the command xfce-setting-show in your terminal to show Xfce settings manager.
    Click on the keyboard icon (don't know the exact name in English) in the lower part of the manager window (use Alt-key to move the windows up).

Then you should select the keybord shortcut tab, create a new profile, using the left add button. Afterward you may use the lower Add button to define a new shortcut command. I would use the shutdown-command (see http://www.computerhope.com/unix/ushutdow.htm) and assign ist to Alt+F4.

HTH

K.G.B.

KGB, Nov 5, 2008
  3. fmazzanti

daldred

One hint: don't do it! If you have one application open and hit alt-F4 twice by accident, you'll close the machine down. Better surely to map the closedown to something else, even if it's only shift-alt-F4

daldred, Nov 5, 2008
  4. fmazzanti

rbil

Better still, what's wrong with just using the power button to shutdown? It's only millimeters away from the keyboard. :)

Cheers.

rbil, Nov 5, 2008
  5. fmazzanti

fmazzanti

Oh, thanks for the hints... I'll try to check out, although the advice of not doing it is wise enough.
    Best regards pals,
    Ferran.

fmazzanti, Nov 7, 2008
Ask a Question