alternative options on SSD?

Discussion in 'Storage' started by dinmatrix, May 17, 2009.

1. dinmatrix

dinmatrix

Hi everybody, two months ago I`ve bought acer aspire one with 8gb ssd /the "fast" one .../ and I install on it xp sp3 /lite partitioning 6.8 / 1.2 - fat32 , well but I find him still very slow :( this ssd are awlful..yesterday I try with flashpoint drivers /probably if I upgrade his ram from 512 to 1536MB the effect will be bigger ..or not?/ it is better with them but is still slow for me?..Does anyone try /if it is possible ?/ to run OS from usb/usb hdd - live windows?I`don`t know what to do , I`ve read for adapters which use CF cards or 1.8" hdd but I don`t want to risk because probably I will lost the garancy if I open it him.

PS. Please excuse me for my english, I didn`t practise it from 12-14 years.

dinmatrix, May 17, 2009
  2. dinmatrix

synchron

Yes, with Windows, extra memory should be helpful.

You also can use EWF to speed it up from SSD.

Search for EWF in this forum.

synchron, May 19, 2009
  3. dinmatrix

ga_mueller

I went from 1G to 1.5G RAM with XP and didn't notice a difference in speed ("faster" Intel SSD). It was already fast, in any case, with 1G and Flashpoint. It's worth a try, what with the low prices for DRAM ($10 for 1G).

ga_mueller, May 21, 2009
  4. dinmatrix

pling

Remember that installing extra RAM yourself will theoretically invalidate your warranty. Try Flashoint first.

It *could* be worth trying out a Linux distribution like Kuki. You can run it from the USB stick without installing to try it. Kuki has a conventional Windows look to it, but it's much more efficient - it thinks 512MB is huge.

pling, May 23, 2009
  5. dinmatrix

Tamrac

512mb to 1gb RAM in XP will improve performance dramatically! Do it! 1Gb to 1.5Gb is hardly noticeable under normal use. 512mb will be agonizingly slow, specially on the SSD of the AAO. ;)

Tamrac, May 23, 2009
  6. dinmatrix

Feerer

Yes, deffinently upgrade u'r laptop memory and try that program -> http://zflashpoint.blogspot.com/
    I have also 8GB SSD "fast one" and 1,5GB memory, flashpoint installed and my windows xp is remarkably fast. ;)

Feerer, May 26, 2009
  7. dinmatrix

margol

1.5 GB RAM + EWF makes a difference. In fact a HUGE difference. Installing EWF is not that simple, but worth any efforts. Just google and find a good tutorial (unfortunately, I don't have it right now) and your AAO will rocks. Garantee !

margol, May 27, 2009
Ask a Question