Alternative Window Managers

Discussion in 'Modding and Customization' started by Devon788, Sep 28, 2008.

1. Devon788

Devon788

hi all
    i've had my ONE for just over a week now and im loving it....i ran k0ro's script the first day i had the thing...the thing is...ive gotten bored with xfce's lack of themability, i havent been able to find any info about adding themes to it on the ONE and hence im looking for some info about any alternative WM's the work well on the ONE and make good use of it's limited screen realestate.....so if anyone has either been able to add themes to xfce or has had success with another WM i'd very much like to hear about how you did it

oh and im not looking for info about Gnome or KDE...ive been a solid linux user for the past 3 years so im looking for something different

Devon788, Sep 28, 2008
  2. Devon788

scottro

I put fluxbox on. I had to manually insert the modules for the wireless--otherwise, the script that loads them, add_drivers.sh, seems to be tied to the xfce startup scripts. I also just manually ran wpa_supplicant. I assume there would be a way to use NetworkManager with it, but I didn't bother.

It ran very quickly, and as I only use it for a few things, web browsing and the like, this was fine for me. I bound the apps that I use to keyboard shortcuts, and that was about all there was to it.

scottro, Sep 28, 2008
  3. Devon788

Devon788

after looking through a couple of different ones, ive decided to try out matchbox running on Hardy Heron...i was looking into e17, but that doesnt really seem fit to me...has anyone here got any experience with matchbox?

Devon788, Sep 29, 2008
  4. Devon788

Devon788

so apparently hardy + my ONE dont seem to like matchbox...has anybody used it/encountered problems with it?

Devon788, Sep 29, 2008
  5. Devon788

RockDoctor

Haven't tried matchbox in a very long time; you might have better luck with the latest Intrepid alpha

RockDoctor, Sep 29, 2008
  6. Devon788

cpchan

cpchan, Oct 1, 2008
  7. Devon788

madwoolything

Great idea ,..... I've been trying fluxbox to see what it can do ...... BUT how do you manually insert the modules for the wireless?

Thanks

madwoolything, Oct 5, 2008
  8. Devon788

scottro

There's a script that they keep in /usr/bin (IIRC), called add_driver.sh which does it.

I just added a line to /etc/rc.local

/usr/bin/add_driver.sh

Actually, I found that all I had to do was insert the ath_pci module. I did the whole thing this way.
    I created a wpa.conf file in my $HOME directory.

wpa_passphrase mynetwork mypassword > wpa.conf

(Note that the standard name is wpa_supplicant.conf, but the name is really unimportant if you're manually specifying the file.)

This gives you a file that looks something like

network={
    ssid="mynetwork"
    #psk="thisismypass"
    psk=ee9a5cd2e36d4056464787fdb24c7b9168fea5d9050711c5fc44cf322569e4ee
    }

(If your wireless router doesn't broadcast the SSID, above the ssid="mynetwork" put
    scan_ssid=1
    )
    Then, I would call it with
    wpa_supplicant -Dwext -iath0 -c/home/usr/wpa.conf

(Remember, the modules were already added from /etc/rc.local.)

After playing around, though I found that didn't need all the things in the add_driver.sh. I then changed it to a little script, startwireless.sh that read

#!/bin/sh
    sudo modprobe ath_pci
    wpa_supplicant -Dwext -iath0 -c/home/usr/wpa.conf
    dhclient ath0

However, it's probably easier and less prone to error to just run that add_driver.sh script from /etc/rc.local as the machine boots up.

scottro, Oct 5, 2008
  9. Devon788

madwoolything

Thanks for your help .... I've modified the /etc/rc.local file and added the line add_driver.sh
    Unfortunately it has not worked as when I start fluxbox in place of xfce from the log in screen and try to launch mn-applet I get the following 'could not initialize settings file /home/acer/.opsdksettings (rc=13)' which does not mean much to me. Also when I launch firefox it cannot find a connection :?:

Any further thoughts?
    (I have fluxbox working nicely on another laptop using Fedora 9 and can have just added mn-applet to the startup settings in the .fluxbox folder)

10. Devon788

scottro

I didn't use the applet if I used fluxbox. There's probably a way around that error, but I didn't bother figuring it out. I prefer to do these things from command line anyway.

So I would try doing it the way I outlined above. Rather than running nm-applet, create your wpa.conf file and start it with
    wpa_supplicant -B -Dwext -iath0 -c/home/usr/wpa.conf

(I left the -B out before--that causes it to detach from the terminal and run in the background.)

Once it shows that it's connected,

dhclient ath0

scottro, Oct 5, 2008
  11. Devon788

madwoolything

Thanks again for your help ..... I've been using Linux for a little over a year and have much to learn ..... I've followed the method outlined and tried several changes to the wpa.conf file (and I think it is correct as it matches the settings on my router). Each time I try to connect I get "Failed to read or parse configuration '/home/ian/wpa.conf'."

Any ideas?

It would be excellent if I could get mn-applet running as I connect to several wireless hotspots .... should I be looking at installing a different distro and starting afresh?

12. Devon788

scottro

Try doing
    -c"/home/ian/wpa.conf"

(I returned my AA1 after getting the black screen, and am waiting for the 6 cell, on which I'll be installing something else, so I can't really check it. However, it works in Fedora just the way I had it originally, without quotes.

hould look like this
    network={
    scan_ssid=1
    ssid="mynetwork"
    #psk=mypass
    psk=<very long string>
    }

Is it saying anything like Invalid configuration line?

Also, you definitely created a user named ian? If not, it would be in /home/usr, the default user.

(note the scan_ssid is only used if your router doesn't broadcast the SSID).

scottro, Oct 5, 2008
  13. Devon788

blackhawk

Since this thread talking about alternative window manager.
    Self compiled LXDE (base on lxde source RPM for Fedora 10) with lxlauncher on Aspire One 110:
    [attachment=0:11ezj7fj]snapshot.png[/attachment:11ezj7fj]

blackhawk, Oct 15, 2008
Ask a Question