Amd or Intel?

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by SirJoe, Mar 1, 2016.

1. SirJoe

spence88

Yeah, that seemed to be the case nowadays, Intel seems to be really dominating the mainstream market. But if we go back a few years, it's quite the opposite. AMD completely beats Intel in terms of performance/price ratio. AMD held the throne for quite a while, and it was only until Core2Duo where Intel slowly gained ground against AMD.

spence88, Apr 3, 2016
    IcyBC likes this.
  2. SirJoe

IcyBC

The funny thing about AMD and Intel was that both of my sisters worked for these two companies! One worked for Intel and one worked for AMD. You can imagine the arguments when this subject surfaced. I remember the Core2Duo when it came out, but not sure if my son's computer has this or not.

IcyBC, Apr 4, 2016
  3. SirJoe

Benoit W

Bоth Intеl аnd АMD prоduсеgооd prоduсts. Dеpеnding оn yоur nееds, оnе соmpаny mаy prоduсе а prоduсt thаtmоrе сlоsеly mаtсhеs yоur nееds thаn thе оthеr соmpаny.But it's rеаlly impоrtаnt tо knоw thаt "bеttеr" is rеlаtivе tо thе сritеriа yоu'rе using tо соmpаrе thеm. Mоst pеоplе hаvе multiplе сritеriа thаt аrе impоrtаnt whеn еvаluаting а сhip аnd mаking а dесisiоn аbоut whiсh оnе is "bеst" is асtuаlly аbоut mаking а dесisiоn аbоut "whiсh оnе is right fоr yоu."

Benoit W, Apr 6, 2016
  4. SirJoe

sparkster

I was always an AMD fan myself a few years back but my opinion (and the technology) has changed over the years. To be honest, I'm not really that fussy any more but more recently, I have switched to Intel and have gone for the Core i3 processor. It was about time I upgraded and I do think that Intel are probably slightly ahead of the game at the moment. Who knows how long that'll last though?

sparkster, Apr 7, 2016
  5. SirJoe

spence88

Agreed. We can ask one another for suggestions and opinions to get more ideas and knowledge, but I think it's best we do the research ourselves as we know what we really need. The ultimate decision will still be ours.

I think so, too. Intel is, however, generally more costly and people have been saying that the price/performance ratio of AMD and Intel doesn't differ that much, so it doesn't matter which of them you'd buy. I don't know, I could be wrong, but that's how I understand what the reviews of popular sites are saying.

spence88, Apr 7, 2016
  6. SirJoe

nytegeek

I tend to use AMD products over Intel because of the price of equivalent Intel chip-sets can be prohibitive. AMD is affordable and provides decent performance for the cost. Intel has had a few points in it's history where it gotten ahead of AMD in terms of advancement and features, but tech of this nature constantly changes and advances. It doesn't seem to take long for AMD to creep ahead for a while. It's a dance that is interesting to watch but neither company seems to ever have a substantial lead on the other in advanced design for very long.

nytegeek, Apr 7, 2016
  7. SirJoe

Allen1

Sаdly, АMD hаsn't bееn соmpеtitivе sinсе thе Intеl Pеntium 4 dаys. Hоwеvеr, аMD hаs nоw priсеd thеir prосеssоrs vеry сhеаply аs а rеsult, whiсh mаy mеаn thаt it's а gооd fit if yоur budgеt is tight.

Allen1, Sep 24, 2016
Ask a Question