Android on a AAO with settings saved?

Discussion in 'Android' started by MichelC, Nov 28, 2011.

1. MichelC

MichelC

Hello all,

Let me start to say I'm not very computer literate and not capable with Linux.

I bought the first model AAO 110? (SSD 8 Gb) a few years ago and because I'm clairvoyant :D I built in a touchscreen and internal bluetooth. I'm running WinXP, but of course that's not really good with a touchscreen. I would like to work with Android as well, but am looking for a simple way without virtual boxes and stuff, to really use the AAO as a tablet with keyboard, preferably without removing XP.

An SD card or USB stick to switch and work with Android would be perfect. I played around with what I found here and there and can run Android-x86 1.6 from a bootable FAT32 USB stick (that's about my limit technically). Wifi worked, I could access my Gmail, but bluetooth detected my phone but could not connect to get a 3G connection. And worst of all, settings in Android are gone after reboot and apps I downloaded were nowhere to be found. All I basically could was just playing around a bit and drool at how good the touchscreen worked, but no serious tablet work was possible. Higher versions of Android-x86 I downloaded from Android-x86.org that I tried did not work on the AAO.

Is there a way to really run an AAO on Android? With settings saved and working apps? Preferably a real tablet version (3.0 or higher) and a simple plug and run solution with all settings, apps and data stored on the SD card or USB stick?

Thanks for your help and tips.

Mike

MichelC, Nov 28, 2011
  2. MichelC

MichelC

Well. quicker than I thought I think I found out myself. I used two USB sticks. One stick (500 Mb) formatted FAT32 with the loader and Android-x86 1.6 ISO on it, the second USB stick (8Gb) empty and formatted EXT3.

I booted up the Android.iso stick and installed Android onto the other stick. It seems to be as simple as that. Wifi and camera work. I can access my Gmail account. It also seems that my settings are stored; I shut down the computer and booted without the first iso-containing stick and just the EXT3 stick. Everything was still there. Booting takes a while though, have to see if sleep mode works.

Finally my self built-in touchscreen mod springs to life!

Now looking for some apps, see if I can get these onto somewhere.

Mike.

MichelC, Nov 28, 2011
  3. MichelC

tekkguy

I successfully booted and used the new Honeycomb x-86 release. I used the ASUS one. Wifi works, etc, without any problems. Camera is pretty bad, but they listed that as not working. It gave me full access to the market, although some apps weren't showing up. I was able to load them by transferring them over Dropbox.

I stuck an SD card in the machine, and that's saving my changes so far. I might risk installing as a dual-boot with Windows after I clone the drive to backup.

I have a 751h, for what it's worth. Wish I had a touchscreen on mine!

tekkguy, Nov 29, 2011
Ask a Question