Another Windows flavor for the One

Discussion in 'Windows' started by klauss35, Feb 8, 2009.

1. klauss35

klauss35

Hello all

Reading the Everex Cloudbook forum, someone mention Windows Fundamentals for Legacy PCs (WinFLP), this is a version of XP based on Windows XP Embedded but optimized for older or less powerful hardware, well my company happen to have a copy of it, I installed it on my AA1 and I really love it, it install like a regular XP Pro and all the drivers for Xp works good on FLP, I have almost all the functions of Windows XP Pro (can join my aa1 to a domain, remote desktop, etc) but with a very reduced footprint,I post some screenshots at http://cleiva.no-ip.com/aa1.

Thanks.

Claudio.

klauss35, Feb 8, 2009
  2. klauss35

Metalguru

I tried WinFLP out last year on my Asus Eee 701.

As the OP has stated, this cut down version of XP is pretty much ideal for these netbooks, EXCEPT - it provides no support for mobile broadband / 3G.

If you don't need mobile broadband, I would encourage users to try it out.

But as I needed it on my Eee 701, I finally settled for W2K.

That old (but really robust) OS is still supported by MS, and it works well with my Huawei E220 dongle.

I have yet to try out my E220 modem with my new AOA 110, but I understand it should work with the Linpus OS.

Metalguru, Feb 11, 2009
  3. klauss35

margol

I would love to try it on my slow AOA110, but Microsoft does not sell it to ordinary users :(
    Any idea ?

margol, Mar 11, 2009
  4. klauss35

Shad0wguy

You could always "acquire" it another way.

Shad0wguy, Mar 11, 2009
  5. klauss35

STKD

Failing that, get your own copy of XP and use nLite to cut it down. Works just as well, easy, much more customisable and saves space and RAM.

STKD, Mar 12, 2009
  6. klauss35

margol

Thanks, guys, I'm in the process... Just wondering wheather either Fundamentals or nLite significantly faster than the standard XP after all recommended tweaks (turning off paging file, system restore, etc., etc., etc.) ?

margol, Mar 13, 2009
  7. klauss35

STKD

Either will be faster than the standard XP install. Fundamentals may be a little more awkward because IIRC, it tends to demand the entire hard drive for itself when installed which means you can't dual boot. The joy with nLite is that you can pick and choose what you keep, customise your settings etc before you install it. I have an XP install on my Acer right now which takes around 600MB (compared to the usual 1GB+) hard drive space, but still has the themes, outlook express, IE7, WMP11 etc. It's a longer process but the benefits are fairly high even if you just want to get rid of the excessive drivers included.

STKD, Mar 13, 2009
  8. klauss35

azz2811

Looks good i might have to try it soon

azz2811, Mar 16, 2009
  9. klauss35

jaydee711

I had forgotten about this windows version until I read this post. I got a hold of a copy of WinFLP and was able to use my own legit VLK to activate it. It worked wonders on my AOD150! It is faster than any windows dist I have tried, without nliting it to death. All the drivers from the Acer site worked, and all other programs I have installed (Firefox, Norton Internet Security, Office 2007, Adobe CS4 Creative suite etc) worked like a charm. There is also a SP3 release for FLP.

As I said I had forgotten all about it, but will now deploy it to more of my old computers. It's legit, clean and stable and I will probably never use MicroXP, MiniXP or WhateverXP again when I need a slimmed down version. I had a quick look and you can get WinFLP some "other" places.

jaydee711, Jun 24, 2009
  10. klauss35

cookoospite

Could someone please give me a step by step guide of how to install this? I currently have linpus lite installed.

Thanks cookoo.
    :?:

cookoospite, Jun 25, 2009
  11. klauss35

jaydee711

Get a copy of WinFLP, put it in your cd-rom and boot it. Follow the instructions on the screen. It's like installing WinXP or WinVista

jaydee711, Jun 26, 2009
Ask a Question