Anti Spyware

Discussion in 'Linux' started by neomaximus2k, Oct 7, 2008.

1. neomaximus2k

neomaximus2k

On a separate note to the anti virus thread what would be the best anti-spyware software to use on the linupus (again free)

neomaximus2k, Oct 7, 2008
  2. neomaximus2k

rbil

Install Windoze, then you'll have access to all sorts of anti-malware software, because then you'll really need it. :)

Cheers.

rbil, Oct 7, 2008
  3. neomaximus2k

Elllipsis

In the year or so that I have been using Linux I have not had a single virus or spyware issue.

Elllipsis, Oct 9, 2008
  4. neomaximus2k

dack001

Well, the possibility of E.T.-software (read: calling back home) is also theoretically(!) existent with Linux.
    AppArmor would be the application of your choice, if you want to monitor and restrict what certain applications are doing.
    But i have no idea if this software exists for linpus.
    A tight configured firewall and activated brain.exe (with wine :lol: ) should be enough in 99.9% of all cases.

dack001, Oct 13, 2008
  5. neomaximus2k

steven.chien

Personally I use Avast! Linux, it doesn't have real time protection only scan when you want to do so, you need to reg and reg is free, any times you want. The size of windows is larger than the screen, you have to move up the window a little bit in order to see the scan button! ;)

I don't think an anti virus program will be necessary on Linux, I just installed it for fun! :lol:
    www.avast.com

steven.chien, Oct 21, 2008
  6. neomaximus2k

nmesisca

or you can install your flavour of Linux and then spend the next 2 weeks reading the millions of threads here so that you can manage to have all the bits and pieces working fine..
    yeah really hard to fix that pesky pesky mic.. and audio card.. and card reader.. and.. you get the point or should I make a drawing for you?

nmesisca, Oct 21, 2008
  7. neomaximus2k

daldred

It all works fine for me - but then I've stuck with Linpus. And I still don't need anti-virus / anti-spyware software.

I trust you don't need a drawing either ;-)

daldred, Oct 21, 2008
  8. neomaximus2k

nmesisca

ROFL
    you stuck with what comes with the AA1 and you brag about everything working? tell me, how is the group policy deployment working out for you?
    no, dont need to make you a drawing, you wouldnt get it anyways.

nmesisca, Oct 21, 2008
  9. neomaximus2k

daldred

All the hardware works; it's done everything I've wanted it to. It's a netbook, not my main server; it's by nature insecure in that it's portable.

I'm well aware of the flaws in the way the Linpus system has been put together - but it works for me. I spend enough of my time sorting out other people's spyware and virus ridden systems to know I'm better off without Windows.

daldred, Oct 21, 2008
  10. neomaximus2k

nmesisca

wow
    I must be the only person that has 4 PCs with Windows and all of them are impervious to viruses and the likes.
    Amazing. I must be anti-septic, i tells you!
    Seriously tho, the problem is always between the keyboard and the chair, and it shows in the 'Windoze' stupid comment.

nmesisca, Oct 21, 2008
  11. neomaximus2k

rbil

I don't need a drawing, thanks very much. This netbook is one of my favorite computers, that runs Linpus with a few tweaks. It does everything I'd want a netbook computer to do and it does it very well. All the other computers I have around here, which includes a couple of lamp servers, a couple of workstations and a few laptops all run Linux. There isn't a Windows computer around here, so malware isn't an issue. A Windows computer does show up here from time to time, when a relative or friend brings over a broken system because of malware, but that is easily fixed by wiping off Windows and installing Linux.

Cheers.

rbil, Oct 21, 2008
  12. neomaximus2k

nmesisca

ROFL
    funny.I just spilled my drink.

nmesisca, Oct 21, 2008
  13. neomaximus2k

daldred

daldred, Oct 21, 2008
  14. neomaximus2k

nmesisca

cam's faulty.
    I have done this job for 15 years I really dont want to spend my time troubleshooting ANY os. However, having the choice, with Windows I dont have to read the several different interpretations (one per distro of course) of even the smallest issue that my system may experience.
    I dont want to spend my time making things work (still very interesting tho), I actually want to USE a computer.

PS I really like linux, ubuntu is great, short on productivity but.. its getting there. I just dont want to hear those stupid childish 'Windoze' comments anymore. i really hoped this forum would be safe but..

nmesisca, Oct 21, 2008
Ask a Question