ANTIVIRUS

Discussion in 'Linux' started by NTO, Nov 18, 2008.

1. NTO

NTO

HI ALL do i need to install a antivirus on my one ?
    as ive tryed to but i cant do it and wot one should i use maybe a free download ?
    pls help me out
    cheers

NTO, Nov 18, 2008
  2. NTO

rbil

If you have the Linpus AAO, you do not need any anti-virus protection.

Cheers.

rbil, Nov 18, 2008
  3. NTO

johanv

Probably there aren't a lot of Linux viruses around. But when I got my AAO, the standard user could sudo anything without having to enter a password. If more and more distro's will allow this, it won't be very difficult to write a fast spreading Linux virus, I think.

johanv, Nov 18, 2008
  4. NTO

rbil

I highly doubt it. Why weigh down the system with an anti-virus program that will only look for Windows viruses on your AAO if you're running Linpus on it? Doesn't make sense.

Cheers.

rbil, Nov 18, 2008
  5. NTO

johanv

I don't think an anti virus program is useful, especially on Linux. But I think the default AAO installation needs better security.

johanv, Nov 18, 2008
  6. NTO

hayagix

There are a couple of situations where antivirus is helpful in linux. This would be anything downloaded from unreliable sources like email attachments and p2p files. The antivirus is not looking for linux virus (there are none that I know of) but windows virus. You could easily pass on these virus via linux and not know it so its a good idea to scan these files with something like ClamAV which is widely used in linux. Not only can you pass them on to others but you could also infect your windows partition and files if you are dual booting.

Clam does not have a full time scanner. It only scans what and when you tell it to so resource usage is low.

hayagix, Nov 18, 2008
  7. NTO

cpchan

Totally agree with this. This is why the first thing I did was to lock down the system:

• Change the init system back to standard SysV (e.g.: no more starting of services after login).
      [/*:m:1zmzcf7y]
    • Change /etc/PolicyKit.conf to allow the user "user" to have total control of the hardware, thus eliminating the need to start kpowersave and nm-applet as root.
      [/*:m:1zmzcf7y]
    • Change /etc/sudoers so that sudo requires password.[/*:m:1zmzcf7y]

cpchan, Nov 21, 2008
  8. NTO

steven.chien

New comers of Linux are always asking this kind of question, and we must keeping answering them, Linux is a really safe or rather safe OS than Windows, so an anti virus software is not really necessary unless your computer got really really sensitive information, or an AV software is not recommended. If you really want one, i suggest you to Install Avast Linux, it's free but required reg. and reg is free. I installed this just for fun! ;)

steven.chien, Nov 22, 2008
  9. NTO

Grim Squeaker

Linpus Linux is quite safe where virusses are concerned, but extremely unsafe in other areas thanks to Acers tweaks. Fortunately, some tips can be found above.

Grim Squeaker, Nov 22, 2008
  10. NTO

Yosser_UK

So what should I do to get a safer Linpus environment? That post above with the pointers didn't make any sense to me.

Thanks.

Yosser_UK, Nov 22, 2008
  11. NTO

Issue313

This is great advice.

You can install ClamAV as an anti-virus program, but in reality AV software on linux is as useful as an ashtray on a motorbike.

Issue313, Nov 22, 2008
Ask a Question