Any benefit from ReadyBoost?

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by SiliconJunkie, Jun 19, 2009.

1. SiliconJunkie

SiliconJunkie

I'd like to use a 2GB SD card in the slot for ReadyBoost memory to possibly improve performance even more.

Has anyone else tried this? If so, does it work?

SiliconJunkie, Jun 19, 2009
  2. SiliconJunkie

avio

Tried it and couldn't notice the difference. On the other hand Flashpoint did make a difference.

avio, Jun 19, 2009
  3. SiliconJunkie

Tamrac

It will on low memory systems, like 512mb. Anything 1Gb to 2Gb and you will barely notice anything. Just make sure you use a FAST SD card, or else you will just be slowing down your system rather than speeding it up. Cheers. ;)

Tamrac, Jun 20, 2009
  4. SiliconJunkie

josh5183

I attempted to throw in a 2GB SD card into the card reader. I used HD Tune to test the speeds and at first I was receiving 12-16MB/sec (pretty decent), then it dropped to 7-8MB consistently until I restarted Windows.

With this said, I was also not able to use an SDHC card in the reader which other users report they were able to do. I'm wondering if I have a bad card reader.

If anyone else has HD Tune available, I would love to know if this happens just for me or if it's across the board.

josh5183, Jun 20, 2009
  5. SiliconJunkie

SiliconJunkie

Isn't FlashPoint designed to accelerate performance of solid state drives?

I'm curious how this software would make SD memory available for use by the operating system?

SiliconJunkie, Jun 20, 2009
  6. SiliconJunkie

donhov

(USA) Florida and Michigan if not traveling down t
    OK, new poster and new to the board but here goes.
    I just purchased a Acer Aspire One AO532h-2594. Manufactured 1001 running Win 7 Starter and upgraded the memory to 2 gig.

Ready boost has minimal effect on any system. Low physical memory shows more gains in performance but not earth shaking in any way.

Being a new Acer Aspire One owner I wanted to try ready boost on my new system but kept getting the following error message when inserting a SD card.

"This device cannot be used for ready boost.
    This device is plugged into an unsupported USB port
    Ready Boost requires USB 2.0 or above"

After receiving the above message I tried the SD 4 gig stick on a normal laptop and it set up and worked fine. I also set it up on a desktop using a card reader and it worked fine.
    After spending 2 whole days with Acer Tech support I finally gave up and decided that logically it just didn't work on my system and went back to a usb stick which worked and set up fine.

Today, after asking numerous techs, chat support and other avenues including suggesting that I was asking an advanced question and that if I paid the $50us for 1/2 hour of advanced support I could receive an answer to my question, "Does the SD/memory card slot support Ready Boost?" Common sense says that I wasn't going to pay that when the USB did work, just not as convenient.

Well today I received the following e-Mail from Acer tech support, finally a simple answer to a simple question.
    Thank you for contacting Acer America. I’ll be happy to assist you.

"Having reviewed your e-mail I understand that you require information regarding the Ready Boost.
    Donald, please be informed that the SD slot does not support Ready Boost, nor is it modifiable to support Ready Boost. Just the USB ports will support it.
    Hope you find this response informative."

There it is in Black & White, Acer does not support Ready boost on the memory card slots at least on the newer Acer Aspire One's.

I hope this is informative for any of you wanting to know. If it is important to you check before making a purchase.

Don

donhov, Apr 23, 2010
  7. SiliconJunkie

error404

I have used ReadyBoost wih a 4 gig USB stick and I noticed major differences. Things just seemed snappier. I normally have like 10 tabs open in Google Chrome and a few programs open at the same time. Def makes a difference on multitasking. Oh yeah and I have the max 2 gigs of ram in this machine. So you don't need 512 ram to feel a difference. I'm not sure how performance would be with the SD card though as my slot doesn't work at all :(

error404, Apr 24, 2010
  8. SiliconJunkie

Eosblue

How do you turn "ReadyBoost" on? Is it automatic? The ONLY performance boost I would like to see on my Acer is better video. Even video stored on my hard drive stutters so badly that it's not worth watching.

Eosblue, Apr 25, 2010
  9. SiliconJunkie

Pytheas

Just plug in any USB stick/SD card and wait for the Windows pop-up menu to appear. The option is under the Open etc. Please note that the ReadyBoost function is only available in Windows Vista/7 (not available in Windows XP and previous).

I have no problem watching video stored on the hard drive. I use GOM Player with Hardware Acceleration (DXVA) Enabled and usually connect the netbook with the 37'' TV in order to watch the movies full screen. The Performance options of the GMA500 don't seem to make any significant difference.

Pytheas, Apr 25, 2010
  10. SiliconJunkie

Eosblue

Well, I downloaded GOM and it didn't make ANY difference (video still jerky). I couldn't find the DXVA option.

I then plugged a 8 GB USB stick into the Acer and WOW, the video was actually watchable. I did NOT see any option under Open to enable ReadyBoost so it must be automatic. I am running Win 7 Home Premium. Now I wish I had the 6 cell battery for my next flight. With my 3 cell, I guess all I'll be able to see is one movie unless I luck out and get a seat with a power adaptor.

However, now that the video is OK, I've noticed the sound is bad. When watching a movie, the dialogue is mostly not hearable although strangely enough, the background music is ok. It's almost like the dialogue track is missing. Back to square one and back to the "Maybe I'll get an iPad" for those long flights.

Update:
    I uninstalled the Real drivers, rebooted and MS automatically installed their driver audio package and the sound is almost 100% better than the Real driver I was using, but it's still not very good. Now I'm wondering what sound driver others are using?

Eosblue, Apr 27, 2010
  11. SiliconJunkie

Eosblue

Now that I've solved my video problem (no more stuttering), the sound is terrible. Static, no volume, etc. I'm wondering what you're using for your audio driver? Since I've never used my Acer for video because it was so crappy, I never noticed the sound was just as bad if not worse.

Eosblue, Apr 27, 2010
  12. SiliconJunkie

nick james

Thanks for confirming this Don. I'm pretty disappointed with my purchase right now. Why would you not make your SD slot a USB2.0 device or ReadyBoost? What was Acer thinking?
    Good thing I bought the netbook at Costco.. I've got 60 days still to take it back. It'll be interesting to tell them that's why I'm returning it!

Nick

nick james, Jun 6, 2010
  13. SiliconJunkie

Jsmiley

I have a AAO751h 2gb RAM with Vista Basic and I am using an 8b SD card with 4090 mb dedicated to readyboost and I have a significant gain in frame rate when playing a 3d MMORPG, from 8-10 to 20 fps.

Jsmiley, Aug 11, 2010
Ask a Question