any experience with new Xubunto 8.10 )

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Fuerst, Nov 6, 2008.

1. Fuerst

Fuerst

Hi,
    does anybody already have experience with brand-new Xubuntu 8.10?

I downloaded and burnt an Image last night, and from running it on my desktop from CD it looks very nice and all seemed to work. actually it looks better and "cleaner" then the full-size one.

could it be an alternative to the ultra-mobile version? it includes basically all you really need except for skype. but wifi and bluetooth was working ootb.

But how will it run once installed on AAO 110 ????

cheers
    Christian

Fuerst, Nov 6, 2008
  2. Fuerst

N6546R

Xubuntu is basically Ubuntu with Xfce as the default desktop manager instead of Gnome. The core operating system is identical, so it should run just the same as Ubuntu. I also loaded it up in a VM to play with...you'll want to do a quick search on how to set the system font dpi to 96, as the default fonts are quite large!

It'd be a good transition distribution for folks running Linpus Lite in 'advanced' mode, since both use Xfce.

Perry
    www.kidpub.com

N6546R, Nov 6, 2008
  3. Fuerst

zaphod

I have just tried Xubuntu 8.10 running from a persistent USB drive (made with the Ubuntu USB-creator tool - very easy).

Wired networking works OOB but not WiFi. From what I understand (see Ubuntu release notes) the Atheros ath5k driver is not included, so this is to be expected. I have installed the relevant modules for the driver but still can't detect a wlan interface. Any suggestions ?

Apart from that there are no major issues though a bit of fiddling round will be required regarding optimisation of font/window sizes for the screen.

zaphod, Nov 6, 2008
  4. Fuerst

eti

hi

I installed the new Xubuntu last week ago. I also use the optimized kernel from N6546R, it works great. It is faster than gnome, but it also looks good. I also installed wbar.
    I think you should try it out. It's really good.
    Sometimes I have troubles with my networkmanager(nm-applet) because, it doesn't show all wireless networks and such things. but all in all xubuntu is for the aao 110 the better choice, but that is my opinion, so just try it out. :D

eti, Nov 6, 2008
  5. Fuerst

RockDoctor

Code:
    sudo rmmod ath_pci
    sudo rmmod ath_hal
    sudo rmmod wlan
    sudo modprobe ath5k

Don't recall if I had to blacklist ath_pci module (sudo mousepad /etc/modprobe.d/blacllist). Also, interface may be wifi0 (or even ath5k) instead of wlan0. Too many times back-and-forth with madwifi and ath5k between my desktop PC and my AA1 in Fedora and Ubuntu.

RockDoctor, Nov 6, 2008
  6. Fuerst

zaphod

RockDoctor

Thanks for trying to help. Unfortunately I still don't seem to have a wireless interface: "ifconfig -a" lists only eth0, lo and pan0.

zaphod, Nov 7, 2008
  7. Fuerst

goberoi

goberoi, Nov 8, 2008
  8. Fuerst

zaphod

That was indeed how I got it. I installed linux-backports-modules-intrepid via the package manager which also installed another package at the same time. Perhaps I should start again from scratch and follow the wiki.

EDIT: I now have have WiFi working :p . I went back to a clean Xubuntu 8.10 install, deactivated the proprietary Atheros driver and then added the backports package. I suspect that my previous problems were due to not having deactivated the proprietary driver before adding the new one.

zaphod, Nov 8, 2008
Ask a Question