Any how to videos?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by diverduck1994, Oct 7, 2008.

1. diverduck1994

diverduck1994

There is a wealth of how to articles on this site, but for the nubbies like myself has anyone made videos on how to install any of these apps? Just curious looked on youtube not much there. Does anyone know of any other places. The reason I ask is many of these articles are very intemedating. But if I could see someone else do it maybe it would relieve some of the anxiety. Thanks for the tips.

diverduck1994, Oct 7, 2008
  2. diverduck1994

sdousley

I cannot really speak for the HOWTO's as i am not sure as to which ones you look at, however the howto's may look intimidating, but if laid out well (i'm sure they are) it should just be a case of following all the commands in the howto. The rest of the blurb there is probably more for if you want to know what something specifically does.

One great example of this is the Gentoo installation documentation. When i first installed Gentoo on my desktop, i printed the document out (all 97 pages of it!!!) However, i found myself skipping large chunks of it (they cover using GRUB and LILO as boot loaders, so you only need to do one of them). Before i knew it, (i think about 4 hours later) I had a fully working gentoo installation. Now, 4 hours may seem a long time, but this was on old hardware, so the kernel probably took about 1 hour to compile!.

I would say that a Video HOWTO would be harder to follow (In my opinion) than a text written howto.

If there's HOWTO's out there for things that you want to do, just have a read through them. We all have to bite the bullet on something we're not sure about some time. May as well make it sooner rather than later :)

sdousley, Oct 7, 2008
Ask a Question