Any point in using nlite on the XP version?

Discussion in 'Windows' started by Gage8, Aug 27, 2008.

1. Gage8

Gage8

Just got AOA150 (120GB, 1GB) at Best Buy for USD $350.

My question is, will reinstalling XP with nlite actually give any performance benefit? I don't really care about storage as this drive is bigger than my last dell. I definitely want the driver library so I don't have to install every device driver.

Right now, I uninstalled the bloat and trimmed it down fairly nicely so if there is no performance benefit why reinstall all the drivers again for a fresh install?

Any opinions?

Gage

Gage8, Aug 27, 2008
  2. Gage8

goofball

yes, uninstall's of software are rarey ever as clean as not having it installed in the first place.

goofball, Aug 27, 2008
  3. Gage8

DiSK

Yes, there will be an improvement.

First of all, even if you uninstall stuff, registry keys, random files, logs, etc. will be left over, and eventually slow your computer down. nLite can remove practically everything in XP. Unneeded services, etc. I remember seeing an XP that only took 20MB of RAM at the desktop. Boot up in VirtualBox, Pentium 4 Celeron 2.4 Ghz, 256MB RAM (for the VM) took about 15 seconds.

Trust me, when you get a bigger hard drive, you'll use more, somehow. I used to just have a 10GB + 40GB. Then I got a 120GB. Now that's 3/4 full.

DiSK, Aug 27, 2008
  4. Gage8

Gage8

Does anyone know of an nlite guide for XP that focuses on performance rather than space saving?

Gage8, Aug 28, 2008
  5. Gage8

DiSK

Uh, why don't you read the options carefully? Everyone has different needs, you might accidentally delete something wrong if you use a premade one.

Basically, in nLite, performance = space-saving, or vice-versa. Why? The more stuff you remove, the less Windows has to load. So...Yeah. Just read the stuff carefully, and you'll be fine. After a few times, you'll be so used to it you just click almost everything.

Just make sure, if you're trying to boot the install from USB, that you do not remove the "Manual Install & Upgrade" in the Operating System Options tab.

DiSK, Aug 28, 2008
Ask a Question