Anybody notice bad image quality?

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by DiSK, Nov 13, 2008.

1. DiSK

DiSK

I was just wondering if anybody besides me noticed bad image quality on the AspireOne. Linpus and XP, when I'm using Firefox (haven't used other browsers) and viewing high res images, they turn out looking very pixely. I know that that's not what the picture actually looks like, but I was wondering why, and if I could fix that...

Thanks!

DiSK, Nov 13, 2008
  2. DiSK

Tamrac

I view my 10 & 12 megapixel images on my AAO all the time. Didn't notice any pixelation like you experienced... Are you sure you were on the correct screen resolution?

Tamrac, Nov 13, 2008
  3. DiSK

DiSK

What do you mean correct screen resolution? I'm in XP, 1024 x 768. Don't think changing resolution will effect the image quality...

DiSK, Nov 13, 2008
  4. DiSK

Tamrac

Hehehe. there ya go... you answered the question.... the AAO screen resolution should be 1024x600 and not 1024x768. :) Having the wrong screen resolution will result in unsharp screen detail.

Tamrac, Nov 13, 2008
  5. DiSK

DiSK

I'm on an external monitor though...And on my old comp with 64MB integrated Intel Extreme graphics, the pics look fine. o_O

DiSK, Nov 13, 2008
  6. DiSK

Tamrac

External monitor.... LCD or CRT? Or maybe you can provide a screencap of the pixelation you're experiencing. To better help resolve your issue.

Tamrac, Nov 13, 2008
  7. DiSK

DiSK

LCD. BenQ FP71V+ specifically. Yeah, I'll upload a screenie...Hold on a sec.

[​IMG]

Do you see the...Pixely-ness? It's off the internet, but pretty much all pics have this pixely-ness on them...At least at this size.
    This is a sample photo from the Sony DSC-W80 (7.2MP. Don't think the pic should be this ugly.)

Is it a problem with the resolution? Because on the old computer I talked about, I viewed pics like this nicely, on the same LCD, same res.

DiSK, Nov 13, 2008
  8. DiSK

Tamrac

Screen looks normal here.... hmmm is the desktop also pixelated? if it happens only on the hires photos, then it's how the images are out of your camera. "pixely-ness" as you call it does not change from the desktop view to the image views.... what photo viewer are you using anyways? That can be a factor too.

Tamrac, Nov 13, 2008
  9. DiSK

DiSK

It's not my camera. I've tried using my camera, Olympus C-5500 Sport Zoom. They look great on my old computer, but suck on the AspireOne.

Desktop looks fine. Games run fine. YouTube videos are fine. Movies are fine. Just the friggin pictures suck.

Does it really look fine to you? That's really strange. Dangit...

DiSK, Nov 13, 2008
  10. DiSK

Tamrac

How about on the AAO's internal LCD, how does the photos look? You're using the default XP photo viewer?

EDIT: Check if you are on 32bit color mode..... 16bit will have dithering....

Tamrac, Nov 13, 2008
  11. DiSK

goofball

try running the LCD at the native resolution (1280x1024).

goofball, Nov 13, 2008
  12. DiSK

DiSK

Ehh...1280 x 1024 is the native res? It's too tiny, hurts my eyes, lol.

Well, I switched the display back to the AAO, same thing. Still ugly as ever...

Goofball, do you see what I'm talking about? >.> I can't say it's pixely, I guess. But it's just kinda...Unclear. Or maybe that's because I sit too close to the computer? Ahhh...I dunno... :(

DiSK, Nov 13, 2008
  13. DiSK

frostycpu

frostycpu, Nov 14, 2008
  14. DiSK

spider

picture seems to look ok on mine here no pixalating or what ever

spider, Nov 14, 2008
  15. DiSK

donec

That picture is extremely sharp and clear on my screen I feel like I could almost pickup the rocks or swim in the lake. I have a lot of pictures that I think of as good but not that good. Thanks for showing it to me very nice.

donec, Nov 14, 2008
  16. DiSK

goofball

I'm sorry, I don't see it, I use it at 1280x1024 on external LCD monitor (17" Philips 170B, not a high end monitor by any means).

goofball, Nov 15, 2008
  17. DiSK

DiSK

That picture actually looks great. But I'm talking about a much larger picture. Like, a huge picture, that you have to scroll around to see, lol. Somehow it just looks bad...Grr.

Try this image, in full size. This is one that looks unclear for me.
    http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/sony/dsc_w80-review/DSC00001.JPG

Or am I just being picky? These pictures aren't meant to be seen at normal size, are they?

DiSK, Nov 16, 2008
  18. DiSK

Tamrac

Looking at photos at full resolution. Specially on high megapixel point and shoot cameras like the W80. The images will NOT look good. Even on DSLRs the images could still not look good at 100% magnification. This is NORMAL. Unless the photo is of a subject that is relatively close to the lens, then the image will look good at 100%. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the Aspire One's screen. It has one of the best LCDs of all the netbooks.

I'm a pro photographer, and I spend my entire days looking at full resolution photos. If there's a person that will surely notice these things, I'm one of them. Again, full resolution photos viewed at 100% magnification WILL be pixelated. I could explain further why this is so, but that would just be a waste of time.

Here's one of my photos resized to be bigger than our screen(so that you can scroll around like you say)..... See if it looks bad. It should not, since it's a resampled version to look good on screen.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2364/2785182031_8575ff11a5_o.jpg

Tamrac, Nov 16, 2008
  19. DiSK

goofball

There's alot of reasons why that doesn't look good at 100%. What part of it doesn't look good to you?

goofball, Nov 16, 2008
  20. DiSK

WpgCameraMan

What I do notice in that original picture is that it looks posterized to some degree.

Looks more like a grab from some format of video, or a similar imager that isn't designed to be used for still images.

The sun-glint off the car is a big clue.

WpgCameraMan, Nov 16, 2008
Ask a Question