Anybody tethered their phone to AAO?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by yanyan80, Oct 26, 2008.

1. yanyan80

yanyan80

I have company issued 8830 with tether feature opened. I can easily tether it in WinXp. However, I've been tried two nights to tether my 8830 in Hardy without success. Can somebody please share some instructions? Thanks.

yanyan80, Oct 26, 2008
  2. yanyan80

cheops

3. yanyan80

yanyan80

This the closest case that I can find online, http://forum.eeeuser.com/viewtopic.php?id=18053. Tether BB via bluetooth. By following the instruction, I can get my ppp0 established. However, I still can not browse internet. This is what I think the problem is from the log:
    not replacing existing default route via 192.168.2.1
    Cannot determine ethernet address for proxy ARP

I've del-ed the route 192.168.2.1 from my routing table and added the ppp0 as default route. Still out of luck. Anybody ran into the same problem before? Please shade some light here. Thanks...

If anybody did it via USB, that's exactly what I am looking for, please share... thanks.

yanyan80, Oct 28, 2008
  4. yanyan80

champagj

I have BB Bold tethered with AAO on the Linpus Distro.

I used Barry with the pppd command.

What happen is that your dns info does not get updated. Something about Network Manager not "managing" the connection via USB.

There is a thread somewhere here or on blackberry forum about modifying a script.

Quick test: try to connect to google using the actual IP address. If you connect, then it's your DNS.

If you still have problem let me know I'll dig up the script for you (cannot right now, need to prepare dinner...)

JF

champagj, Oct 28, 2008
  5. yanyan80

yanyan80

Thanks champagj. I've followed your suggestion to check the resolv.conf after the blue tooth connection established. The nameserver address was changed to the network address from the BB. I also tried ping 68.180.206.184 (yahoo.com), I got this: ping: sendmsg: Operation not permitted. nslookup without a luck...

Can you please let me know the script that you are referring to? I really like to get this to work even though I may not use it at all because the browsing speed could be mad slow via blue tooth.

Once again, thanks for your help.

yanyan80, Oct 30, 2008
  6. yanyan80

Wally

Wally, Oct 30, 2008
  7. yanyan80

tommorris

I have got my Sony-Ericsson W890i hooked up to my Ubuntu-running AspireOne so I can get Internet access. It was all pretty simple actually. I plug the phone in over USB, Ubuntu detects it as a camera - I hit 'ignore' (for some reason, it doesn't remember the 'Always do this' option when I hit ignore, but whatever). I set up wvdial - more by fluke than by knowledge. Here is my wvdial configuration file for the phone hooking up to Orange in the UK:

Code:

[Dialer Defaults]
    Init1 = ATH
    Init2 = ATE1
    Init3 = AT+CGDCONT=1,"IP","orangeinternet","",0,0
    ;Init2 = ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
    Modem Type = USB Modem
    Baud = 115299
    New PPPD = yes
    Modem = /dev/ttyACM0
    Carrier Check = No
    ISDN = 0
    Phone = *99#
    ;Phone = orangeinternet
    Password = Multimedia
    Username = Orange
    Stupid Mode = On

(Don't worry, the password is for all customers, I'm not giving out my secrets here!)

Then it just dials when I run wvdial. I tried out GNOME PPP but I find that dialing from the command line is easier, and it gives me useful information (IP addresses) and better understanding of what has gone wrong when things do (something which OS X never did). And it works really reliably. I never get connection problems - occasionally I did on OS X, and would have to do things like change the USB port it's plugged into or go and change the CID that it uses (you can do that by changing the number after the CGDCONT= on the Init3 line above).

I know this doesn't solve your problem, but I'm hoping it'll solve other what other people are going through.

tommorris, Nov 1, 2008
  8. yanyan80

Bzegil

Tethering on the new Ubuntu Intrepid is effortless, it comes with the new Gnome Network Manager version 0.7 that supports tethering out of the box. I hooked up my phone via usb cable and it immediately shows up in network manager as eth1 and I was good to go. This is totally awesome, before you had to jump through all types of hoops to get tethering in linux.

Bzegil, Nov 1, 2008
  9. yanyan80

yanyan80

I am going to give Intrepid Ibex a try. Thanks everyone for the input.

yanyan80, Nov 6, 2008
  10. yanyan80

blackest_knight

I've got a skype phone amo1 tethered with bluetooth , I did it initially with a EEE a google for skype phone EEE should get you generic instructions how to do it pairing was a pain but now pppd gprs works most of the time (sometimes i don't get an address assigned by three) Alternate method i just run virtualbox and a win2000 guest pass it the usb connected phone.

Connection is slow and the phone battery life is terrible but its cheap £5 for a months internet. helps to be stationary, tried on a train and i only got connected in stations

blackest_knight, Nov 13, 2008
  11. yanyan80

blackest_knight

heres a couple of good links I just redid the bluetooth tethering with intrepid. It was easier than with Hardy.
    (for one my belkin bluetooth module worked straight out of the box)

for hardy in /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist add
    #unload bluetooth
    blacklist hci_usb

and in /etc/modules add
    hci_usb reset=1

that got bluetooth working properly (it looked like it was working before but it wasn't )

http://davestevens.co.uk/blog/2008/01/0 ... ntu-linux/
    http://davesource.com/Solutions/2007052 ... Linux.html

follow the links on these two pages to set up the bluetooth modem.
    in intrepid things are even easier than hardy.all i had to do was set the aspire one visable (click on bluetooth properties) and then browse from the phone and set a password. Then it was just a case of discovering the phone mac address and searching for dun and then binding the phone to rfcomm0. Then to connect its pppd call gprs (or sudo pppd call gprs)

hope this helps.

blackest_knight, Nov 16, 2008
  12. yanyan80

sparda8969

i simply connected my n95 to the AAO in pc suite mode. box poped up on screen to ask me my carrier and i was connected from that point on.

sparda8969, Nov 25, 2008
  13. yanyan80

kairijuno

Nokia 5700 in pc suite mode, xubuntu Intrepid Ibex detected it, and choose your provider from the network tray icon to connect.

kairijuno, Nov 30, 2008
Ask a Question