anybody tried windows 7???

Discussion in 'Windows' started by Puru, Oct 30, 2008.

1. Puru

Puru

Puru, Oct 30, 2008
  2. Puru

Guest Guest

I played with build 6801 today for a few hours before reverting back to my Vista image. It was kinda fun to play with but I'm not buying some of the hype I've read about improved speed. I keep reading about how it uses fewer processes and a smaller memory footprint as well as booting faster. I experienced none of these things.

First up was boot time. From power on button to desktop is exactly 40 seconds with Vista. Windows 7 took 50 seconds for the same boot. I next checked the number of processes after a clean boot. Both Vista and 7 showed between 33 and 37 processes depending on what was firing up in the background (windows update, trusted installer, etc). Finally, the memory footprint was no less on 7 than Vista. Both were roughly 500MB just sitting at the desktop. We're talking clean installs here for both Vista and 7.

Perhaps some of the performance tweaks haven't been implemented yet. What I'm hoping for is an option during install that asks me if I'm installing on a Mobile Internet Device or Netbook which would translate into few things getting installed.

If you've managed to acquire the build then sure, go ahead and play with it. I run Vista Ultimate every day on my One so I have a good baseline to compare performance. So far Windows 7 is no different than Vista from a performance perspective, at least according to my testing.

Guest, Oct 30, 2008
  3. Puru

rory

yeah its been difficult so far for me to get m3 (ie i dont have it at all...)
    but i had m1 and that was exactly like vista, but involved the stupid putting the clock back crap, so i dumped it..
    Rory

rory, Oct 31, 2008
  4. Puru

cactusbob

I installed it today. Appeared the same as Vista for me so took it off. Speed was very similar to Vista, and most of the things that irritated me about Vista were still there.

cactusbob, Oct 31, 2008
  5. Puru

Puru

Hmmmm....Alright so maybe we'll wait for the retail version then (It's not going to be out anytime soon but hopefully it'll be worth the wait)...I'm sure there would be a lot of improvements from the testing ones...BTW fdisker did it have the new taskbar??? I thought it was pretty cool :D

Puru, Oct 31, 2008
  6. Puru

Mopeto

I surely will intall it when it comes to a Retail Version not less.

As, in Vista, you know that unused Ram is Wasted Ram right?... The super fetch is a nice thing for use.
    The system always will use like 50% of Ram, when you run a progam it maybe is alredy on ram so i will lauch faster, if there are like 1.5GB of ram used, then run a ram-demanding aplication it go down to 400 in a instant, it free the memory will not use...
    Vista is Good, i Hope Vista SP2 [AKA Windows 7] Improve even more.

Mopeto, Oct 31, 2008
  7. Puru

Kei

I am excited and i expect good results out of 7 i do have a big beef with 7 and that is its not on the N10...thats not on my bed...can't wait though :D

Kei, Oct 31, 2008
  8. Puru

paco

How long is the timebomb? Can you install it from USB?

paco, Oct 31, 2008
  9. Puru

Puru

It's supposed to be out sometime after the second half of 2009...but it's Windows so you can never tell... ;)

BTW my one died this morning so i'll flash the BIOS and then try to install the m3....cheers

Puru, Oct 31, 2008
  10. Puru

rory

it out jan 09 most likely, with the first betas available to the public starting the end of this year probably
    plus windows 7 isnt a service pack for vista, it will use winfs instead of ntfs, and thats kindof a major overhaul.
    also, it will be build 7000 so thats not exactly build 6002 is it?

rory, Oct 31, 2008
Ask a Question