Anybody upgrade from XP Home to XP Professional

Discussion in 'Windows' started by dmevid, Sep 5, 2008.

1. dmevid

dmevid

Hi All,

I love my little Blue Acer one. I bought two of them. Also have 1.5 meg ram in both of them. I comes with XP Home. Has anybody upgraded to XP Professional? If so, what advantages, disadvantages are???

thanks you! :D

dmevid, Sep 5, 2008
  2. dmevid

remoh

Maybe consider a upgrade by changing windows settings - you will get nearly all of the xp pro features for free.
    You can read about it in the german magazine c't (written in english)

http://www.heise.de/ct/english/05/12/148/

remoh, Sep 5, 2008
  3. dmevid

master chief

i clean installed an xp pro to my 120gig, 1gb ram, xp home model. (aoa 150) :)
    what i noticed is that it boots faster, can access files and folders faster in my partitioned drives and no problems when i use my external dvd drive. :)

i got problems when i use my dvd drive on the xp home hence i clean installed an xp pro. ;)

master chief, Sep 6, 2008
  4. dmevid

goofball

XP Pro is literally just XP Home with more business-oriented features. Fresh installed, they are pretty much the same in performance if you apply the same tweaks to both. You can't compare a fresh install of XP pro to the factory installation done by Acer of XP Home, it's not a fair comparison.

goofball, Sep 6, 2008
  5. dmevid

master chief

yea. the factory installed xp home is crap-full of sh*t. :twisted:

master chief, Sep 6, 2008
  6. dmevid

triplecore

I did not sure why, but I heard Pro is more secure and I just like it better. Though I can't really tell the difference. I wish there was a free hard drive imager so I don't have keep on reactiving it!!!

triplecore, Sep 6, 2008
  7. dmevid

goofball

http://www.windowsnetworking.com/kbase/ ... ation.html

Pro is not more secure, it's got some more business oriented features like being able to be part of a domain, group policy editor, and others.

I think people are just attracted to the word "Pro", or haven't done an actual fresh install of Home (not the recovery stuff from OEM's but actual retail XP Home) to see that it runs same as Pro when done that way.

goofball, Sep 6, 2008
Ask a Question