Anyone disliking their One?

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by kentris, Sep 9, 2009.

1. kentris

kentris

I'm really getting sick of mine. It's given me nothing but trouble and it's made me think I should've held out for an EEEPC or a Macbook instead.

My battery life is crap.
    The fan noise is bloody frickin' annoying.
    The temperature of the laptop is always high.
    Due to the high temps, my case has now slightly warped and started to squeak especially where the wireless adapter is.
    The scrolling on the track pad is a hit and miss.
    Has the problem of running in PIO instead of DMA.
    My screen has a "thumbprint" on it which I can't get rid of and now my machine is out of warranty.

It was all fine and dandy when I first got the thing, but now it's just become a chore to use it.

kentris, Sep 9, 2009
  2. kentris

garrovick

My AOA 150-1777 (XP and 120gig hard drive) has been working out pretty good. No problems with the computer at all. It works well with Ubuntu 9.04, XP and Windows 7. Exactly what I expected for a $300.00 netbook. I use it everyday and carry it with me every where.

It's about three months old.

garrovick, Sep 9, 2009
  3. kentris

biomedtech

I sort of feel similar about my Eee PC, because the keyboard is re-arranged (god knows for what stupid reason). The famous 901, which everyone raves about, is the most irritating POS if you took typing class in school. The Shift and Page Up keys are swapped, making a continuous train of thought impossible as a whole paragraph can suddenly be mistakenly high-lighted and deleted. I have to have access to an external keyboard for documents, or a lengthly email, and that sort of negates the reason for having a netbook.

biomedtech, Sep 9, 2009
  4. kentris

Darryl

I've had 14 months out of this little machine so far and have worked it very hard pretty much every day. I love it to bits. Its been bashed around in cycle panniers and used for long periods. I got an extended (2 years) warranty unlimited repairs or replacement for £26 and so am very happy with what I've had for my money and even happier that I'll continue to get it...so no I'm not really disliking my one...

Darryl, Sep 10, 2009
  5. kentris

robert456

I have a 9-10 month old AAO 110 and still like it very much -- although some of your critics are right :
    - my battery life is around 1h
    - scrolling on the trackpad is not precise :-(
    - no problem with fan noise (I have a trimmed-down version of win xp + aa1ctrl)
    - no heat problem either

ps: i have the ssd version, it was *very* slow before i decided to install flashpoint too boost it

robert456, Sep 10, 2009
  6. kentris

Forone

Second the advice above about A1ctl for fan/heat. A year old this month, used daily and (knock on wood) it's as good as new except for predictable battery aging. The pad works fine, but I prefer a wireless mouse.

Forone, Sep 10, 2009
  7. kentris

chasmanor

I have had mine since February, running Windows XP. I wasn't happy with the battery life but, after buying the 6-cell, I get six hours of steady use. I have used it long and hard - no fan noise, no heat problem. Its the first change I have made since my Jornada 720 and I'm a very happy camper.

I take it everywhere - runs wirelessly, hooks up to my projector and speakers. It was a good investment.

chasmanor, Sep 12, 2009
  8. kentris

alicez

I have the Acer Aspire One AOD150-1165 with 2GB Ram with 6 Cell Battery.
    I find that when I turn on the AAO, after being off a few days, the battery life is listed as 74%. When I turn on my Vista Premium notebook (after same amount of time being off), the battery life is list at 92%.
    I hate to think what would happen if I left the AAO off for a week or longer. Anyone else notice the same thing?

alicez, Sep 14, 2009
  9. kentris

AdamC60803

I've had my AA1 for about five weeks now and I'm loving it more each day.

Haven't had any heat related problems; fan runs quietly; and it's as quick today as the day I took it out of the box.

:)

AdamC60803, Sep 15, 2009
  10. kentris

joeystitch

I've had a ZG5 for about four months now. The only thing I dislike is that awful Atheros wifi adapter, but I have a replacement coming soon. The fan is a little loud, but I can live with that.

joeystitch, Sep 15, 2009
  11. kentris

Shad0wguy

I have had my ZG5 since they first came out about 1 year ago. I use it every day for college and wouldn't trade it for anything. I turned off trackpad scrolling since I dont use it, the fan makes virtually no noise, I bought a 6-cell battery for about $50 and now boast around 4 hours on a charge.

For $300 I am very satisfied. I recently bought a 32GB ssd to alleviate the storage issues, so once that arrives I will have no complaints about this computer.

Shad0wguy, Sep 15, 2009
  12. kentris

Sarouk

I have mine since about 2 weeks and love it. I am not using my Dell XPS much except for some applications and some games that required a good system: Age of Conan and War Hammer Online, among others. My D250 is perfect for when I just want to browse the net or check e-mails. I can even play games: Diablo I & II, Starcraft. World of Warcraft work just fine and I am getting an average of 20-23 FPS, a bit less in town.

Best 300$ I ever spent.

Sarouk, Sep 15, 2009
  13. kentris

janss

The only problem I have is that the SSD is friggin' slow!!

But running a bit tweaked Ubuntu 9.04 gives me 5-6 hours battery life with 6-cell battery, wifi or 3G dongle on and online.
    On Linux acerhdf solves the fan issue, now the fan is off 99.9% of the time.

I have thought about replacing the SSD with a small HDD, but haven't found a cheap one yet.

I only use this machine when I need a lightweight web/email/irc/etc machine with me that has long battery life.

For heavier stuff on the road, I have a FujitsuSiemens 12" tablet pc.

janss, Sep 16, 2009
  14. kentris

Rich in ILM

I have an early AOA 150 with hard drive and XP. After updating the Atheros drive and BIOS (3309) mine has been great. You have to be careful not to block the bottom vent holes or it gets too hot. I run an SD card in the left slot with 2 gig allocated to eboostr, which seems to cut the hard rive use and extend battery life. Mine has been everywhere and continues to be the family favorite. I added a 6 cell battery.

Rich in ILM, Sep 16, 2009
  15. kentris

dcipher

I've had mine for over a year now with six cell battery (I was one of the first in North America I believe!)

No real problems! One side of the case can squeak a touch if you squeeze it, but this is due to it falling out of a pack, about 4 feet on to concrete in winter!!

Trackpad and keyboard a bit worn/discolored from daily use....

No heat or fan problems.....

A rubber foot fell off the other day, but this was due to a moron bashing into it! Luckily, I plan to just take one off the back, and stick it on the front, since it rests on the 6 cell anyways in the back.

Still remains the most satisfying technology purchase I've made in THIRTY years....and I started with an Atari's and later an Apple 2!

Well worth the money I spent.

dcipher, Sep 26, 2009
  16. kentris

ecmasonjr

Mine's just over a month old, and only used a couple hours a day. I have to say that I'm glad I didn't find this forum until after I'd made my purchase as it would have raised serious doubts in my mind. I haven't had any problems with it and am very happy with my purchase.

ecmasonjr, Sep 26, 2009
  17. kentris

andy100

I've owned and used my AA1-150 neraly every day for nigh on a year now. It's a nice little machine that enables me to surf the net, do basic word processing and watch videos & listen to music, but as soon as finances allow I will be looking to upgrade to a notebook.

My main gripes with my AA1 is the size - the 8.9" screen is just that little bit too small for surfing & reviewing docs comfortably on (though the quality when watching stuff is very good) and I find I do make more mistakes when typing using it's keyboard. Comparing the AA1 8.9" screen to a 13.3" Macbook Pro in Curry's, the MBP looked huge - even a friend's Advent 4211 with 10" screen looks a lot more bearable!

Also, although I mainly run my AA1 off of the mains, when I do use it on battery power I find it only lasts about an hour and a half which is irksome.

I don't know if it's just my machine, but after booting into my XP desktop, after 10 or so secs loading the screen 'blacks out' for several seconds before the desktop reloads and anything can even hope to load. Maybe something to do with the Atom processor?

I think a 13.3" would be the minimum screen size I'd want in a new machine, which I think would be easily enough portable for my occasional needs. A disk drive would be handy occasionally too.

In an ideal world, I'd still want to keep my AA1 though and use it solely as a music library linked up to my stereo, as I find iTunes easier to navigate by than my current iPod with dock set-up.

Just my few pennies worth!

Andy

andy100, Oct 2, 2009
  18. kentris

richardtock

I kind of love and hate my one (8gb SSD, 512 RAM) at the same time.

The battery life isn't really very good, and I've never found a satisfactory OS for it. Win XP, even on Tiny XP, is a little bit too slow to boot, and hangs on things. Linux One and Ubuntu I've just found to be quite bad user experiences (trying to do full screen flash video...ugh). I have not tried OSX, but then I'd have to open it up to put another wifi card in it. The hard drive isn't really big enough to store any music on, and the surfing experience is worse then my main computer.

It could be a fantastic device, I've just not found a use for it.

richardtock, Oct 3, 2009
  19. kentris

markh

An AAO 110L....and it's served me very well. Videos on the train, surfing on the sofa....the trick is to appreciate that it doesn't do everything a more expensive computer would. It does the job it was designed for very well/

markh, Oct 3, 2009
  20. kentris

bljarv

I've had mine since they first came out and I am still loving it. I had a problem with the motherboard early on, but Acer took care of it without any issues. I use mine almost daily for web browsing, note taking, word processing, music, and video. I get 5+ hours of battery life out of my 6 cell battery with Windows 7 installed.

There are times when I break out my T61 for more screen resolution, but my Aspire One keeps on impressing me. This little computer really is a champ and I would rate it as one of my best-bang-for-the-buck technology purchases ever.

bljarv, Oct 7, 2009
Ask a Question