Anyone disliking their One?

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by kentris, Sep 9, 2009.

1. kentris

Predator04

I LOVE my One. it has a 250gb hdd 2gb ram. it runs windows 7 amazing. it plays alot of games from refleive and it super fast. only takes 42 seconds from pressing the power button to loading chrome. I LOVE IT. the only thing i miss is a cd/dvd drive and something that can handle good graphics. but other then that its amazing. and battery life is usally about 5-8 hours. love it!

Predator04, Oct 9, 2009
  2. kentris

Dave

I've gone through most of the makes, started with a Asus 701 - 900 - 901, then a MSi Wind, then a Toshiba NB100, and in truth my new 751 is probably the best all-rounder I have had.

My only mod was to up the ram to 2GB, I have no fan noise, it runs cool, and will run all the programs I want it to (including Photoshop CS3), the screen is excellent and the big keypad makes typing a pleasure after all the small keys on my previous models.

I have yet to find a single negative in my Acer purchase.

But then I dont expect it to perform like my big laptop with a 2.4Ghz core2duo processor and 4GB RAM....

Dave, Oct 9, 2009
  3. kentris

Astro3000

Hello , Im not disliking my AAO at all :mrgreen:
    My AAO do what a netbook at this size should do ( and a lot more )
    Many people complain abouth things not working , but as a thumb rule ,
    Don't make any mod's soft or hard if you are not 100 % shure what you are doing :ugeek:
    In this forum I have read a lot of sad stories about things went wrong , sad sad sad , but
    again if you feel you can do the mod's it's not the same as actually could do it ;)
    Think before you do anything , when you install something ( hardware ) think about all
    the details from the smalest decrease in the voltage and the smallest increase in amps .
    I know people said " we doo " yes but what about the resistance in the circuit , you all talk
    about heat generated but like in the good old days when you put a speaker on your HiFi your
    speaker are not a ideal resistor ( when the paper said 8 ohm it will vary across the freq )
    Ok for all those mod's working it's not just solder a usb on the board and voila , no sometimes
    you also had to take care of other things :ugeek:
    By the way I have an AAO , Blue , 160 GHd , 1 G ram and win xp :cool:
    If you use it correct it is a strong machine , I play STAKLER shadow of tjernobyl with
    all detail set at max on 1024*600 and when use an ext screen 1280*1024 all on max

and I
    use it for HD movies off cause it can do this from it's basic , I use Hypernate and my AAO
    boot up from pressing power to windows are up in just 12 sec . :ugeek:
    To all those complain the sound to be bad , Im a musician and when plugged in my mixer
    and Guitar amp running Guitar Rig 3 it's the biggest guitar effects pedal with no delay and
    sound is great ( remember when use it for Guitar Rig 3 dissable the wireles network card or
    you get a delay when playing )

And at last im using it with REASON 4 as a complete digital
    portable sound studio and it work with no problems :mrgreen:

I know it's my first post here in this forum but i must say as many others , Remember it's
    only a NetBook , BUT you must remember to optimize your operating system for it to
    relly show it's power , yes it's a little strong fellow and no I have no Mod's to it's hardware
    and it's the best NetBook you can buy :lol:
    Have a nice day friend's , Astro3000

Astro3000, Oct 10, 2009
  4. kentris

richardtock

Wow! I'm impressed with all that! Mine stutters when opening a new tab, and even youtube is very stuttery. I'm amazed how you've got it so good! What's the secret? Shall I put more RAM in?

richardtock, Oct 18, 2009
  5. kentris

Astro3000

It's no secret :eek:) I have optimized the operating system ( Xp ) If you finetune the os you will
    be able to do the same :eek:)
    It took me about 3 month to correct errors in Xp :eek:)
    If it's hard for you to do it by your self ( I think otherwise you havent asked ) You can
    try to use a program to tune it ( it can't tune all the things but it can do a lot for you )
    If you aren't in to debugging and hardcoding windows and hardcore registry tweaks
    ( It can be as hard as hell ) So try to look at the program X-Setup.Pro
    http://www.x-setup.net/
    it can tweak many many things :eek:)

Good luck :eek:) and a nice day to you , Kenneth , Astro3000
    http://www.myspace.com/astro3000

Astro3000, Oct 23, 2009
  6. kentris

prayingmantis

this is the most annoying machine i ever owned there is no support or drivers for the aao -110ab at all for xp. im contemplating on binning the thing

prayingmantis, Nov 7, 2009
  7. kentris

Grim Squeaker

Eeehm - there are plenty of drivers for XP on the Acer website... http://www.acer.com/

Select your country, then click service and support and end up at your One. It shows drivers for all hardware.

Grim Squeaker, Nov 7, 2009
  8. kentris

prayingmantis

ok ill rephrase it there is no drivers for the wireless that actually work for my model - fine on linux just the atheros drivers dont work even in install says no hardware device connected - annoying machine anyone who wants an acer avoid this model

prayingmantis, Nov 7, 2009
  9. kentris

Scissors

Guess who's back!

Anyway, I haven't had any problems w/ my One hardware wise. But Windows, on the other hand; has been a pain in the ass.

Some of the mods I did to it are install Arctic Silver 5, Lubricate the fan (Properly), Install a 1 gig ram module, install a 320 gig 7200 rpm hdd w/ 16m cache. I have just formatted it and am reinstalling Winblows 7. I accidentally wiped a partition like a n00b would.

Scissors, Nov 18, 2009
  10. kentris

Dooms_day

its okay, light and quiet and awesome battery but i wish i waited for the ion...really would love some hd video and an HDMI output...and some GAMES

Dooms_day, Dec 18, 2009
  11. kentris

Rich in ILM

And next there will be the trion and after that the skion. I've been buying/building since 1979 and it's always just after I buy that they come out with something better. Second half of Moore's Law. <G>

Rich in ILM, Dec 18, 2009
  12. kentris

Paisley Pirate

What Rich Said!!!!

I have had mine for just over a year now. Spent 9 months on the road doing a long term contract, using my AAO every day. For hard computing.

We had some proprietary programs that didn't like Vista, and my little AAO was the only XP machine we had with us (being 1500 miles away from home) so it got to run big dog duty until we finally (!) got the work around up...

I ran spreadsheets/mapping software/graphics program/GPS unit/2nd mapping software/internet-wireless simultaneously, and it just worked like a trooper.

Is it as powerful as a monster desktop or a high end laptop? No. But it doesn't set you back $1000's NOR is it a 6 lb monster!

I've had a couple of hiccups... had the DMA issue once, and it really needs better speakers (and worse, I think I've actually blown mine)... and the touchpad hasn't been my favorite since day one, (even though it's still better than some of the bigger Acers or my wife's Compaq)... but overall, it's been a trooper.

After a year... battery life is still 5+ hours.

OH, and someone asked about turning an AAO on after more than a day or so and seeing the life remaining? I left mine in snooze for over a week after I got home... it turned on at that 75% or so life (and mine shows the same thing after overnight) So apparently, it's a software to battery reading glitch.

My AAO: AOA 150-1447 Win XP 1.5gb RAM (upgraded by me from 1.0.. boy wasn't that fun!) 160gb hdd, 6-cell. 8gb SSD in the left front, frogskin keyboard cover...

Paisley Pirate, Dec 20, 2009
  13. kentris

jackluo923

webcam and usb keeps on failing. Have to disable usb2 to enable semi-stable webcam functionaility.

jackluo923, Dec 28, 2009
  14. kentris

MaLfUnCtIoN

i've only had it about a month but no problems so far. since i've upgraded to 7 its plenty fast for what i do. i have the 2gig/250gig model and i love it so far. do i wish the processor were a little faster? yeah. and with the 3 cell the battery life is a little less than ideal (about and hour and a half to 2 hours), but what can i realistically expect for 300 bucks?

MaLfUnCtIoN, Dec 29, 2009
Ask a Question