Anyone got sound working in Linux?

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by Guest, Mar 11, 2009.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Hi guys,

I've been running the D150 in Linux from the get-go and have never managed to get sound through the speakers. I've run F10, Mint, KNOPPIX, Zenwalk, etc and the results are the same: no sound thru the speakers (no mic either but the headphone jack works fine).

I'm now running with ALSA 1.0.19 (the latest), I've added the "options hnd... acer-aspire" to /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base and /etc/modprobe.d/options, so would appreciate any advice from anyone who's managed to get sound working with Linux.

Guest, Mar 11, 2009
  2. Guest

gcbailey

same here, I'm dual boot ubuntu 9.10 and xp pro.... no luck on the sound, tried the wiki approach and stuff.....

gcbailey, Mar 11, 2009
  3. Guest

Guest Guest

Hey gcbailey,

This one sucks, huh? Worst thing is it doesn't look likely to be resolved any time soon. I've tried running Fedora Rawhide, which uses an RC for the 2.6.29 kernel hoping that it would have better hardware detection/support. No luck there either. All the ones running 2.6.28 also don't work.

Here's hoping someone's managed a workaround :)

Guest, Mar 12, 2009
  4. Guest

gcbailey

true... I got bored and even tried the wubi route just for giggles, no luck either. i would almost switch totally to ubuntu if I could get some sound. Gotta have the mp3s.

gcbailey, Mar 12, 2009
  5. Guest

Guest Guest

I wiped XP the moment I got the D150 home so i'm very thankful that I can at least get sound through my headphones :D

Guest, Mar 12, 2009
  6. Guest

gcbailey

I guess with that you can always tell people that the 150's speakers just aren't good enough for your tastes! :D

gcbailey, Mar 12, 2009
  7. Guest

Flatland2D

Sound worked fine out of the box for me when using 9.04. Never was able to get it working in 8.10, even after compiling the drivers myself. I just got my laptop back from RMA and will be testing this again.

Flatland2D, Mar 13, 2009
  8. Guest

Guest Guest

Speaker output works in MEPIS 8.0 but it was surprisingly unstable on my machine. I'm still running Mint, since most things work in that 'cept the speakers/mic and suspend.

Guest, Mar 16, 2009
  9. Guest

klamath

Anyone with OpenSuSE 11.1 managed audio to work ?

klamath, Mar 16, 2009
  10. Guest

amturnip

Fedora 10 and the speakers work. The volume is set at zero whenever I turn it on, though. Although the master volume (displayed in the toolbar) is high, I have to visit the Mixer and raise "Front" from zero. Likewise for the headphones.

amturnip, Mar 16, 2009
  11. Guest

gcbailey

So all this is making me wonder if it's just ubuntu.... I'm by no means a Linux expert, or that good of a novice, but can the drivers from different distributions be swapped around and used? (fedora on ubuntu...)

gcbailey, Mar 16, 2009
  12. Guest

Guest Guest

I've run Fedora 10, both Gnome and XFCE, no luck there either. I read from the Fedora forum here that the mixer defaults to 0 volume and I made sure to check, I really did hope that the solution was as simple as that but unfortunately, it was not to be.

From what I surmise, those running the D150 with the N270 CPU seem to have better luck, since the hardware is pretty similar to the A110 version.

The ones that I know who have the sound issue have been exclusively D150+N280, despite the mainboard and sound modules being listed as identical (ICH7).

@amturnip, which CPU do you have? The N270 or the N280?

Guest, Mar 16, 2009
  13. Guest

Guest Guest

They are the same: Alsa-driver. When you grab it from their website (1.0.19 being the latest), it's source so it works the same no matter what distribution you use.

Guest, Mar 16, 2009
  14. Guest

klamath

solved

update alsa to 1.0.19
    update kernel to 2.6.29-rc8

I updated both and now speaker works

klamath, Mar 17, 2009
  15. Guest

Guest Guest

Fedora Rawhide? What about the built-in mic? Does that work, too?

Guest, Mar 18, 2009
  16. Guest

klamath

No OpenSuSE 11.1. How can I test the mic ?

klamath, Mar 18, 2009
  17. Guest

Guest Guest

Skype or Sound Recorder?

Guest, Mar 18, 2009
  18. Guest

klamath

tried with arecord but the mic doesn't works.

klamath, Mar 19, 2009
  19. Guest

Flatland2D

I can't get the mic to work in Jaunty, either. Like I said before though, sound output through the speakers works like a charm.

Flatland2D, Mar 20, 2009
  20. Guest

ptihibou

I just got the AAO D150 which comes only with XP. I tried to install OpenSuse 11.1 with no success, the graphic interface would not load. On a second attempt I was able to install OpenSuse 11.1 and I thought Oh boy it works, but then when I did an rpm update, and then rebooted, the graphic interface again would not load. I then tried to install Fedora 10 as I read a post which indicated it worked. No problem in installing (although I much prefer OpenSuse) but the sound does not work, except in the headphones. I tried the suggested trick with Kmix but to no avail. The webcam is working fine but no sound through the speakers and no mic.

PS I had tried to purchase an AAO 8"9 1.5G ram 160G HDD 3 cell with Linux Lite as I knew that a friend of mine installed OpenSuse 11.1 on it with no problem but I was told that they were now discontinued, so I went for the more expensive AAO 10.1" 1G ram 160G HDD 6 cell figuring that despite the fact that it came with XP I would not have any problem installing Linux. I was wrong. At the same time I learned that Acer would not any longer release any AAO with Linux. Am I paranoid to suspect some pressure and foulplay by Microsoft? :x

ptihibou, Mar 30, 2009
Ask a Question